Thoughts on "New and Improved" Recreation.gov

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by kcsa75, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I don;t think this is why Thompson Causeway is not showing any availability. Blanding landing is just upriver a bit and it too is showing no availability.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

They are showing availabe dates at Blanding fthrough October 27 and then again starting in May.

3. Toedtoes

Oh and it looks like they are starting to reload the maps. I checked two campgrounds and their maps are up and running, the third I checked doesn't have the clickable site numbers yet.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I checked a bit later and it seemed it was working

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

So far, I'm not impressed with the new website. Granted, pics of each campsite are nice when available, but it's much more difficult to get to the map of available sites for a specific date.
    I made our reservations for Memorial Day week the other day, returning to North Rim of Grand Canyon. Online, it would only show the first day as "released" or available. I was worrying that it meant we now had to plan from the end of the stay, which makes for crazy-making planning. Finally called. First time, I did the call-back routine, to not lose my place in the queue, but once the system called me back, after being on hold and getting one phone ring, it went to dead air. Tried again later, and got a chipper, very helpful gal. No problems at all with making my reservation, so it's on the calendar. It was probably a bit easier since we had our prioritized list of sites made; actually got our first choice. (This is one campground where even the popup sized us out of some sites, the TT isn't much longer but is a tad less maneuverable and the TV is a couple of feet longer than previous ones.) Not sure how it will work for campgrounds we haven't used before and/or have notes on the sites.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I made Memorial Day reservations on Thanksgiving Day and thought the same thing. After 10 or 15 minutes of frustration I figured it out. While the boxes next to the arrival day show "not released" if you click on them it will let you select them. We'll be arriving on Wednesday before and staying through the holiday. [:)C]

7. kitphantom

@kcsa75: good to know, since I'll likely be faced with the same thing for our Labor Day week trip, and our fall trip to GCNP South Rim. (Courtenay's Fridays off have been aligning with both the Memorial and Labor Day holidays for a while, so we've been taking advantage of getting a week+ trip that costs him 3 vacation days.) We just need to decide which trip we want to take for that by sometime in Feb.; probably somewhere he can do a 2 or 3 day backpack to prep for his planned trip in Oct (assuming he gets a permit).

8. Toedtoes

Yep. As long as your arrival date is within the booking period, you are OK to book online - just select your departure date and it will accept it.

The map is different, but I'm getting used to it. Everything else is working well.

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

A little funny, but it worked. Never liked the site in the past. So no real change now. Still don't like it.

10. kitphantom

@Toedtoes - It didn't seem to let me select a departure date, even though I had typd in arrive and number of days or departure date at some point. However, I admit to being tired after our long trip home from Tucson that day, so may have missed a new trick or two. I was just glad it worked well on the phone.

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

What didn't you like? I thought the old Recreation.gov worked well and never had a problem. I understand the need to update the back end technology, but I didn't see any need for the wholesale change. [:)C]

kitphantom likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

When you click on the arrival date field, it will bring up a calendar. You click on the arrival date and then click on the departure date. You don't have to click in the departure field.

13. kitphantom

I remember clicking on a lot of things, none of which worked on Sunday. At least the phone method did, in spite of a wait. We'll see what happens for the next reservation I need to make, probably won't be for a couple of months.

14. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Yeah used the site last week. It went from working well to practically unusable. Spent 20 minutes with 2 different iPads before I could figure out what site was available and where on the map it was. (Assateague National Seashore). Finally got it done but had to reset password (required) and log in again. Luckily I had a paper map of the campground.
    Always changing, never improving is my experience with websites.

15. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Notwithstanding the current federal government shut-down, and the above stated items that need improvement, I would like to post another article on reservation website's efforts to combat cheating. It's a bit California centric given the source.

Attached Files: