Throw lines

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by firepit, May 16, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Got my throw lines made up for upcoming family camping trip...We love to fish the river for kittys with throw lines....you get to drink beer and do other things all the while you are fishing....anyone else on here throw line the rivers?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Never heard of throw lines.

Sjm9911 and xxxapache like this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I use a throw line for rescues, while running as "sweep", kayaking with friends and scouts. We've had to drag a swamped canoe, broadside to the current, off a downed tree. Scouts were ok.

xxxapache likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Never used them for fishing but sounds like fun...Enjoy the family time and leave a few seedling fish in the water. :)

5. firepit

Really?...or are u kidding?....some call them trot lines...around here they are called throw lines.

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Lived on a lake for many years, even owned a Marina and Resort for 6 years. Fished all the time and still never once heard the term "throw line". Now I have done my fair share of trot line fishing.

kcsa75 and xxxapache like this.
  7. firepit

Its the same....i buy 100lb test rope...i make my lines about 25 feet with weight on the end and about. 18 in up from weight i put my first hook and another 2 ft up my second hook....i run 2 hooks on each line....some guys use 3.
    I make my lines a little longer in case you have to tie your line around a tree on river bank...i usually tie to a tree...but sometimes i have to drive in a stake to tie to.
    I have the best luck on night crawlers....chicken livers and shrimp can be good bait also.

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

This is how we would do it. Used old window sash weights on each end. Usually would tie off to something on the shore on one end.
    We would mainly use Chad or cut bluegill. Big bait, big fish. OTfNnhsvg91FA5esNQ_uvDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9.jpeg.jpg

Sjm9911 and firepit like this.
  9. firepit

That's a different set up than we use...We fish right off the bank and use no floats.
    We focus on catfish but catch a Gar,Carp and Sturgeon once in awhile.

Our set up is simple but effective....We have a fish fry every year on the last Saturday of the family camping trip.

BTW...I am no artist...Forgive my drawing.

Attached Files:

10. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

A throw line here is as WrKrBee described. In Oregon they’re known a trotlines. They are basically illegal here also. They’re thought of as a down south thing with the cat fisherman crowd here, though in Oregon you can have multiple hooks on your pole. That said, I’ve seen them in use elsewhere and they are productive.

Good luck and enjoy yourself...

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Looks like a throw line as Firepit described would be great if you didnt have access to a boat, kayak or canoe. Trot lines are generally pretty long and are more manageable by checking them on a boat.
    It is interesting to see how different parts of the states do things differently.
    I use ice jigs (found up north) to crappie fish in Oklahoma and Arkansas. (Learned about those from a customer that lived in Minnesota)
    Have fun Firepit.....look forward to more photos.

firepit likes this.
  12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

only have to throw a ruber band line once or until you get it where ya want. Keep the grease hot.

13. firepit

We have the river on one side of our campground and 5 lakes on the other side....so we usually run our throw lines on the river bank and if we arent drinking beer and hanging out we can can grab our fishing poles and hit the lakes.
    I see a bass buggy in the future for lake fishing.