Throwing in the towel on our pup-advice needed

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by DesertRed, Aug 10, 2019.

1. DesertRed

DesertRed Member

So after all our efforts of trying to fix our lift system-we're at the point of throwing in the towel. In previous posts we discovered that the prior owner had fully removed the whiffletree and used an underpowered winch installed on the wrong end of the camper. We'd been led to believe the winch was ATTACHED to the original whiffletree but when the winch broke after one use of our camper we realized fully what had been done. We attempted to put together reconstructed whiffletree system with Coleman Pop up parts but because part of the metal had been cut out on the frame for the winch install we're pretty much sunk due to alignment issues on it. So we have essentially a beautiful 2005 Fleetwood Sequoia in near perfect condition that we can't even raise the roof and can't fix safely. We've sought quotes for a rebuild on the lift for what's left to repair and no one will touch it due to liability issues. So I think we are in the boat of either selling it with the parts to someone wanting to try to finish it or selling it for parts. We're sad about it and tired from it and just discovered we've got baby #5 on the way.... Any advice on selling it for parts vs. as a mechanic special? We bought it for $5400 three years ago. Each year we've tried to use it we've been sunk. The last time we were able to open it was March of this year with supports but whe the winch gave out fully my husband removed it when he put the upper assembly back together. It's the lower assembly with the cut out piece that's sinking this project. Any advice is welcome.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Wow, that's really too bad.

3. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

That's an awful story. Who the hell would do that?? Maybe post some pictures or something. Do you have any friends that race cars? Racers always tend to have welders and basic fabrication skills. Might be of some help.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  4. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I wouldn't give up so easy, I know you are frustrated but you can find a welder to repair what was cut out and make it stronger than original. Look for a welding shop or you can even look for mobile welders who will come to your place and weld a plate in. The small welding shops and independent guys will do most any repairs. I just saw a couple guys on facebook market place here advertising welding repairs. Just show them what you need and what you want done

myride and HappyTraveler like this.
  5. Camper Pilot

Camper Pilot New Member

B27DCAAA-0371-4383-8619-AB7376A1DFD0.jpeg

6. Camper Pilot

Camper Pilot New Member

Hey all, I’m DesertRed’s DH, and the pic above is from under the box to where the cable feeds to the now removed winch. The frame was cut larger to accommodate the cable for the winch installation, which is larger than the original access for the whiffle tree. I’ll post more pics as I figure out how to make them smaller, and better explanation of what I’m facing.

7. Camper Pilot

Camper Pilot New Member

D9553B93-77E9-4275-89B5-BE11BC31F2D0.jpeg

8. Camper Pilot

Camper Pilot New Member

So, the above picture is the installed winch (took that off), that’s placed on a 3/4” steel plate that was welded onto the aft frame, and the bumper. The stress from the winch would literally move the bumper, and in time I’m certain would have caused irreparable damage to the entire frame. So, my issues are; I need to remove that place, repair the frame where it was cut for the winch system, and cut that repair to accommodate the whiffle tree. My main concern with all of this is getting the proper alignment of the worm drive, and the cutout for the patch. There are a multitude of other issues as well that is making want to pitch the whole project. No question, having dug into this thing, the previous owners got the gold mine, and we got the shaft.