thunder and lightning and wonderful rain

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by penny, Sep 8, 2019.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I'm sorely missing camping! We've had some beautiful and dramatic storms this month, and last night's was a doozy. 5 weeks without going camping is too long for me.

I packed up a few things, and spent the night in camp driveway last night. The storm was amazing and I fell happily asleep to rain on the roof. ahhhh!

2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Love the sound of rain on the pup roof!

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Rain is definitely soothing when sleeping [SNZ] in a pup, unless you know that you have to pack up the next morning and you are worried about lowering the roof with damp canvas![:!]

4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

pup or TT, either one is a relaxing sound. Unless you have leaks, which, knock on wood, we don't.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I love rain, but only rain. No wind or lightning.

neighbormike and nineoaks2004 like this.
  6. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We had a light show, complete with big sound effects. One reason I went out!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I love a gentle rain but do not like lightening, frog stranglers or heavy winds.

bheff likes this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Or hail!

9. penny

penny Well-Known Member

absolutely no hail!! No wind either. but a spectacular desert lightning storm is something to see!

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

How safe is a PUP in lightning? I know I wouldn't want to be in a tent in a lightning storm, and wouldn't be concerned about being in a TT during one, but a PUP being a hybrid between the two I wonder...

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Love the sound of gentle rain but hate thunderstorms. I was camping once in a bad thunderstorm and lightning struck a tall tree right next to a class C in it's site. Thankfully they were uninjured but I don't know the state of their electric. They were thankfully able to throw their stuff in and drive off while the tree was burning like a torch. I watched the fire crews come to put the tree out although it was still smoking like a chimney. Tree crews came the next day to chop it down only for it to start burning again as the interior of the tree was still smoldering. Way too scary and thanking my lucky stars it wasn't my site. No way I would have been able to drive off quickly. Or what would have been left if it got into the electrical. Worse case the camper would have caught fire if it got into the electrical. Wouldnt take much for the camper to catch fire. Between all the wood and canvas not to mention the battery and propane. Nope, don't like thunderstorms one bit in a camper.

12. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Penny this happened where I was tent camping just South of Cloudcroft in 2002.
    Friend from Clovis and I were tent camping on that spot in August 2002. Left early because of the storms.
    Took wife to see area lees than two weeks later for a possible trip for us when we saw the tree or what was left of it.
    we decided that we didn't want to camp there. Picture_0165.jpg

13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Thunder and lightning, very very frightening me...

Okay I digress here a bit.

Back in the early 90s, when I was in college (just showed my age, sorry), I was walking accross the UofA campus with a couple of classmates between classes, and scrambling accross "the Mall" in front of the student union building. I think I was heading off to my German class that afternoon given the time of day and the people I was with of course...

Now the Mall (quad, whatever you want to call the big grassy area between buildings where everyone congregates) is probably 75' accross and maybe 200 yards long, and lined with palm trees, or it was back then. I was about 2/3 of the way accross the field going to my class, the sky was pitch black as it was Monsoon season, but we hadn't heard any thunder yet.

At that point, the palm tree immediately behind me, maybe 50 feet away from where I was got hit by a bolt of lightning. I had no idea it was going to happen, no, pre warning of any sort that folks talk about, just the loudest bang I ever heard and the brightest light you could imagine. It felt against my back like I was standing too close to a bonfire for a fraction of a second and then the sensation went away. I turned around to see bits and pieces of palm tree everywhere, and the remnants of that tree on fire...

It was at that point the sky more or less decided to dump rain on us like crazy and then lighting all over the place.

We went to class, but I don't recall if anything productive happened for that class period because, well due to the lightning strike the buildings lost power...

I did get more of an education with that experience than I signed up for. Lesson learned, lightning is WAY more powerful than you would think, and it can, and does hit pretty much where it wants to. It's just looking for a fast path to ground.