Thunder Storms

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Mels happy campers, May 13, 2016.

1. Mels happy campers

Mels happy campers New Member

I see everyone's plans for high winds, but what are the proper precautions for thunder storms? Is it safe to stay in the PUP when there is lightning? [{}=]

2. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

In my area we wouldn't worry much about Thunder and Lightening storms. They were fun to be ot tenting in and just as fun in the PUP. That being said, I have to add that we do not get bad storms with strikes, barely ever get hail (when we do it it usually the size of a BB), and no risk from Tornado's.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When camping in our pup and a severe lightning storm rolls in, we will seek shelter in our TV. This happened to us when we camping down in Ocean City, MD. We decided to get into the TV. Lightning was hitting about a mile from us or 5 seconds away.

While we are backpacking and if a severe lightning storm pops up we will seek shelter or get to the low ground ASAP!! If needed we will assume the lightning position until the storm passes.

5. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

The pup should be fine as well as the TV in a thunderstorm or lightning. Just hope that the lightning doesn't hit to near it may fry the electronics.
    Severe weather such as high winds or tornado you want to be in a severe weather shelter that usually is a comfort station of sorts. Anytime there is bad weather you should have a weather radio in case of severe weather so you can be aware before the sirens sound and you have to find shelter.

6. silvermickey2002

During severe t-storms I will unplug the pup from the power post to protect the pup from a spike due to lightning.

7. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

During a strike people in vehicles benefit more from having a metal cage (Faraday Cage) surrounding them as opposed to having the rubber tires insulate them. Not sure a pup will provide that same metal cage protection.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I judge by how big/threatening the storm is. Where I camp big electrical storms are rare, but occasionally happen. If the storm is very close with # ground strikes then I would take cover in the TV or other nearby building. Unplugging from electric post is a good idea. Most storms I see however are usually further away with normally heat lightning so I just stay in the pup just keeping an eye out for any sudden changes. I have had more problems with wind from storms than by lightning. Having a weather radio or some other means to track a storm is a good idea. Don't stress too much, your car is usually a short distance away besides it provides an interesting campfire story for later.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I went though a strong thunderstorm at Myrtle Beach back in 94' in PirateLand Campground. My first popup 94 Coleman Mesa did well... no leaks but a blunder - the awning was blown and it was covering the wrong area - roof! No leaks... but do not touch standing water. I stepped on a small standing water and saw a bright flash - the lighting hit maybe a few miles away on ocean.. I got shocked - a mild sensation!

10. SquishySaurus

SquishySaurus New Member

I took my pop up out for the very first time for a quick overnight last weekend and wondered the same thing. Despite checking the weather before I went to bed and a 0% chance of rain, the thunder started rolling in about 1am and kept going until 3:30am. Tons of rain, thunder, and lightning but very little wind at least. I debated heading to my car but ended up staying inside and watching the radar for pretty much all of those 2.5 hours with my dog lol. Had it not been 2am-ish or my kids been with me I probably would have gone to my car.

11. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I don't worry about it. Been through a lot of nasty in a tent and in the camper. I just take a nap or go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Eventually you are going to get caught in a golly-washer. I enjoy them to a certain extent and have been settling on staying put probably more than I should. A well kept canvas is worth it's weight in gold.
    A couple times, at the peak of the storm, I've been caught 2 and 3 AM thinking it wasn't such a good idea... but then again a lot of how much precaution you take depends on your style of camping and how remote you are.
    We start paying attention to anything over 50mph winds, anything tornadic or heavy electrical... at that point we have way too much effort put in the whole rig to chance it and try to fold down and ride it out in the tow vehicle.
    It's a hard choice for those of us that love a good storm. Gets your blood pumping. Ahaha!

13. silvermickey2002

If there was one thing I learned about backpacking and lightning safety (Philmont Scout Ranch) is that a bolt of lightning can come from out of nowhere!!! It happened to us in July of 2015 while on a ridge. Lots of blue sky and then WHAMO!! A bolt hit about .5 - 1 mile from where we were hiking. It scared the living crap out of us! When we walked into the next staff camp they told us that bolt of lightning came from a storm about 10-12 miles away [:O] I was just glad I did not have to use my CPR skills on anyone. I just needed to check my pants [LOL]

The moral of the story is: Do not take lightning storms for granted. A storm 10-12 miles away can send a bolt of lightning your way. It's not the end of the world , but use common sense!

14. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

15. str8popup

str8popup Member

We get a thunderstorm almost daily while camping on the mountain. I have camped through storms in everything from bivys to a rv. I worry more about the associated winds than a lightning strike. Maybe I'm crazy but I kinda like watching the lightning. Take the usual precations and enjoy mother nature. Just some crazy Wyoming boys thoughts, lol