Ticks. What's your story?

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Andy G., Jun 3, 2019.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My husband has (I think) 5 or 6 markers for Lyme. I forget the exact number. He's never had any symptoms, but got tested for it when was sick with something unidentified - turned out to be diabetes. A worker for the CDC contacted us and we had to do an interview of all the places we've lived and camped, along with months/years. The camping part was sketchy, at best, to remember.

He gets ticks on him all the time. I am always in the same places, at the same times, and never get ticks. I think I've had two on me in my entire life. He gets that many on him every trip, sometimes more. It seems they like some people better than others.

2. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Buy commercial repellents such as Repel with at least 40% DEET and spray hat, socks, pant legs, sleeve cuffs, and shirt collars...anywhere they can get in. Don't get it on your glasses or any finished wood items like fly rods, gunstocks, walking sticks, as it dissolves the finish. Check pant legs and shirt frequently whenever you walk through tall grass, leaf litter, or brush. Ticks in the nymph phase are incredibly small, but can still carry the pathogens. My niece who works outdoors for the DNR, found a tick on the inside of her dogs eyelid this week.

MN-DNR says ticks are now active nearly all year, even in frosty Minnesota, with late spring and early summer being the peak season.

My brother, a retired park supervisor, has a place up in the Superior National Forest. He treats a set of outdoor clothes with permethrin. Care should be taken with that stuff, as it is highly toxic to bees and other pollinators which already have enough problems.

Last word... Do not let ticks drive you away from the outdoors. Just take precautions, be aware, and have fun out there.

Document.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    neighbormike likes this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We use Picaridin insect repellent lotions and sprays. DEET bits and we wouldn't use that stuff anymore. For clothing, we treat them with Permethrin each spring. If sprayed onto your clothing, if would be killing any wildlife. This chemical disables ticks and mosquitoes. It works.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I have never had any issues with ticks... But hearing folks talk about bug sprays reminds me of a rather unfortunate day in Northern Michigan. We were in the middle of the woods camping, and had many cans of deep woods off. I was giving myself a good spray every couple of hours. I wasn't directly spraying my face. Instead, I was spraying my hands and then rubbing it on my face. WORD TO THE WISE!! Wash your hands after you do this..... Especially before you go to the bathroom! My junk was on fire for almost an hour! Lesson learned.

1380ken, Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

But no ticks!

6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

My DW and dog have had ticks on them. The last camping trip a couple of weeks ago, sitting around, my DW noticed a "bug" crawling up her leg. Nasty tick looking for a place to set up shop. He met his demise. The dog, even with her tick meds, had one on in he rear leg. We used a tick remover to dig it out. Once home, she was checked by the vet with no issues shown but we have to watch her. After the dog was found to have one, everybody in the group got a check at the end of the evening. Personally, I wear long pants and sleeves whenever possible. Also sprayed the clothing with Deet. There has been a lot in the news here in Western NY because of the wet spring we've had about ticks and prevention. One article stated that possum's eat ticks. Thinking of getting a pet possum!!

7. Econ

Econ Active Member

The Dog lives in the back yard. Her annual blood test revealed Erlichious (a Lyme family disease). I get bit about once or twice a week. Went to Doc after the dog's test and they ran blood. In this state the testing lab calls the State Health dept before your doc on 67 diseases. Lyme and RMSF are two. Had a call from the State. The only reason they didn't visit me that morning was there is a marker in the test that said I had had Rocky Mountain SF sometimes in the past and survived it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-natura...33&s=gateway&sprefix=cedar+oil,aps,166&sr=8-4

Not toxic like Deet etc

8. Econ

Econ Active Member

PS: We have chickens in the back yard now. They love ticks.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Knock on wood, I have never had a tick. I usually don't get many mosquito bites either. Some people bugs don't like.

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

PS: We have chickens in the back yard now. They love ticks