Tillicum Beach - windy?

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by drgiese, Mar 31, 2018.

1. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

Who has camped at Tillicum Beach on the Oregon coast in June? Is it too windy for a pup?

2. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

We were there in June 20 years ago when my daughter was 3 weeks old and my son was 1 1/2. We were tent camping. (Yes, I used to be a hard core tent camper, lol). It was super windy. We had just moved to the PNW and I couldn't believe how cold and windy it was on the Oregon Coast.

3. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

So as a pup owner, would you camp there again? Would you choose a site away from the beach side, more protected from the wind? Or steer clear altogether?

We're looking to stay 30-60 minutes south of Newport. Any other suggestions?

4. gardenbliss

I've camped in far windier places in my PUP and did just fine. Just bring wind breakers. Your PUP should be able to handle the winds beach side. Just down use the awning.

5. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

Maybe a lame question... Wind breakers like light jackets or is this a piece of equipment for the trailer?

6. gardenbliss

Ha Ha, like wind breaker jackets. Of course, there are high wind pop up gizmo's that people use for insulation/sun protection, but you won't really need these in Oregon, I don't think. It's so beautiful on the Oregon coast. Have fun.

drgiese likes this.
  7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We really like Carl Washburne SP (a bit farther south). The campground is in the trees, so out of the wind.

8. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

I saw that, too, but it looks like it's not reservable. I'm nervous about not having a reserved spot. We're going to take our chances at Tillicum. Fingers crossed!

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We've never had a problem getting a spot at Washburne if we arrive by mid afternoon.

10. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

Update... Tillicum was amazing! Weather was perfect - 70's and sunny, not windy at all. 20180613_201812.jpg 20180613_201848.jpg 20180613_204301.jpg 20180614_081512.jpg

11. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

For those of you who have camped at Tillicum, I saw that only some of the sites have electrical. Do you know if you get an Ocean view from the electrical sites? I want to take my mom and she doesn't want to go without her cpap

12. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

You can look at a map of the campground to see which sites have electric. They are kind of scattered throughout the campground. The best ocean view sites are parallel parking sites, on the beach side of the road going through the campground. When I was there there were big RVs parked there, so I'm guessing they had electric. I think most of the sites directly opposite those had electric, but depending on the rigs that are parked on the ocean side, the ocean view may be partially or even totally blocked. Anything beyond those 2 rows are not going to have ocean views.

Rik Peery likes this.