Time for a digital thermostat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Indianrock, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Is this still a good choice for a 2001 Coleman Fleetwood Sun Valley Grand Tour? I've been surprised how well the stock furnace in our popup actually works, given canvas sides etc.

We just completed our last trip for this year to Curlew Lake State Park in NE Washington. Weather was good with lows at night around 45.

https://amzn.to/2Vdu2T5

Honeywell RTH2300B1012/E1 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Why go digital?

3. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Well the current one is hard to read and difficult to set with any accuracy.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Moving to a digital thermostat was one of the handiest things we did in both our second popup (first one had no furnace) an dour TT. The Lux we used in each has been great - the momentary back light is handy at night. (The one in the TT is located so that it's almost impossible to read at night without the back light.) Much easier to turn on/off, set, and read than the original thermostats in the campers.
    We did not go the programmable route, and the one we chose had reviews that mentioned it working in really low temps - similar to one located in a cabin or garage that's not used all the time.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYNCJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The older style thermostats have a coil that expands and contrats, i can see it being a problem in a camper that gets bounched around. The digital runs off battery power. I have never really used mine in the pop up. If it was cold i was always at an ellectric site and used a portable electric heater.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Digital are so easy to read and to turn on and off.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

the coil being jounced is not a worry per se. The issue was always the lack of precision in setting the temperature, especially if the thermostat is low - around navel-height (lower still in my low profile Scout). Our Aliner will be getting a digital thermostat for Xmas.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Digital is 100% better than the old analog, more accurate. I got mine from Wally World for about $19.00 installed it in just a few minutes and made a big difference as the old on hunted and it was even to hot or to cold.

9. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Our original/analog thermostat is mounted only about 2 feet off the floor. I hadn't really thought about using a portable electric but that would avoid one big consumer of propane. These days we do seem to go exclusively to state parks that have electric and water hookups. Did you find a good, efficient portable electric?

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

11. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

We use an electric heater to supplement our propane furnace when camping with hookups. After buying many cheap ones we finally found one that works great but isn’t super cheap.
    Using this dual heat method we have kept our pup at 65 deg all night long when temps dipped into the 30’s.

Vornado VH10 Vortex Heater with Adjustable Thermostat, 2 Heat Settings, Advanced Safety Features, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SVIPVHU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_j4lIDb0YCXSZN

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

With the Coleman Cobalt, the original thermostat was in a niche a few inches off the floor,under the table. When we changed to digital, we added a plug and long wire, so it was up on the counter. That eliminated the huge temperature swings we'd had, as well as being much easier to reach, see, and set.

Attached Files:

kennedyma likes this.
  13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I'm different! The therm was located behind ones legs when sitting at the dinette. Reaching down I could turn it on and adjust the temp, never needed to look at it. Once I adjusted the heat anticipator it was to my liking.

14. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

On my Coleman 2004 Timberlake, it is digital but it is in a niche in the dinette area a few inches off the ground. It is battery powered (which means the batteries are usually dead when I need the thermostat), and since I never raise the dinette (usually need the bed), it is very difficult to get to. Some day, I will add a plug and make an extension cord for it.

15. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

On our Aliner - I plan to relocate the thermostat to beside the light fitting above the main bed, so we can turn on heat while still in bed

16. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

On our Cape Cod, the thermostat was under the dinette, about 12" above floor level. I replaced the thermostat with a Honeywell non programmable digital thermostat, along with a coil cord that allows me to hang it from the paper towel holder above our sink. Works much better now, & we just store the thermostat under the dinette seat.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.