Time for a new anode rod?

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
We got a N2U 2013 Palomino popup last July and I could swear I remember the dealer removing the anode rod from the water heater and seeing that there was some material left. Well, either he pulled the ol' switcheroo or we blew through this thing in the one trip we've taken so far. Here's what it looked like when I pulled it today:
Maybe time to replace that, eh?

Before I put the new anode rod in, I used one of those water heater tank cleaners on the end of a hose to rinse the tank out. I think about 2 cups of white crud came pouring out. Looks like neither the dealer nor the PO did any maintenance on this thing at all. Moral of the story to my fellow new camper owners, check everything.

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
Yep, time to replace. All the anode material is gone (well, was on the tank bottom), you have the shaft.
I was wondering where that white crud came from.

It's a good thing I got a spare anode when I bought the camper. Does anyone have a sense of how often these need to be replaced? I'm guessing it'll depend on things like how often the water heater is used and whether water is left in the tank, but just in general... Is this something most people replace every season? Every few seasons? Every ten years?

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Depends on the water quality. I just got a trailer with a water heater, so I'll find out more in the fall when I pull ours for the first time.

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
Should be in the tank on the outside at the bottom. You'll just see the octagonal bolt head of the rod. Looks like a plug from the outside.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I replace mine every spring when I dewinterize the camper. They're less than $10 for a 2 pack usually.

I use to do the same thing, they are cheap enough to replace each year..

Should all water heaters have one of these? I cannot locate it on our 2008 Jayco.

Depends on the make of your water heater, Suburban heaters use an anode rod, Atwood heaters do not need them.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Does anyone have a sense of how often these need to be replaced? I'm guessing it'll depend on things like how often the water heater is used and whether water is left in the tank, but just in general... Is this something most people replace every season? Every few seasons? Every ten years?

It all depends on the water supply. Fortunately, we're on the third year with the same anode rod. When I checked it earlier this year, it was showing some signs of deterioration for the first time.

jeepster04

Nov 23, 2010
I find it odd that you can buy different types of anodes. I know in the boating world, magnesium is for fresh water, zinc is for salt, and aluminum is for brackish water. Idk why you would want anything besides magnesium for a water heater.