Time For New Tires

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by colby, Jun 30, 2014.

1. colby

colby Member

Well, we did a quick little trip up to a friend's cottage where we staked out the PUP for the night. It was the first real trip for us in the NTU PUP and we went through the checklist thoroughly before we headed out including checking the tires and pressure. Now I knew that the tires were not the newest, however I wasn't sure how old they were. They looked like they had good tread and when I had dropped of an picked up the PUP from storage (just about an hour drive away), there was no issue.

So we get to the site and back the PUP into the spot. I go to use the BAL on the low side, and I can't get it under the tire (which looked a little flat, however it was in some longer grass). So we got some wood out, and backed the PUP onto the wood. At that point, the tire looked definitely low so we got out the air compressor and started putting air in the tire. We got the tire pumped up, and I could hear a little hissing. Looking around the tire, we realized that we needed to change it, which we did. I have a picture of the old tire here after I put it onto the spare tire holder:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I get to do some research into what's the best tire. Doing some already and it's interesting to read the varying opinions.

Cheers

Sent from my 3448B69 using Tapatalk

2. Phranc

Phranc New Member

How old is that tire? Check the date code on the sidewall. Carlisle tires are normally a decent ST tire.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

That tire looks like it over heated badly.

4. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

5 years and change them.

Tread can still look good but dry rot or rot when stored on dirt or grass can lead to cracked sidewalls and separated treads.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You may be able to patch that tire.

6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

It's only flat on the bottom. [:D]

7. colby

colby Member

Lol, thanks everyone.

The date code on the tire that disintegrated was from 2003. The tire that was on the other side is even older, a Duro that has a date code that looks like it's from 1999 (you can't actually read it). I can't see the date code for the tire that was the spare (the date code was on the back of the Carlisle and this one is also and it's also a Carlisle with the same markings as the bad one), as it is installed on the trailer and I can't find it after crawling under.

All said and done, I'm getting three new tires...

Cheers

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

The cheapest for me was a local tire place (town faire tire), they could get the tires plus rims, cheaper than the RV place could get just the tire.

Amazon has about the same prices, but I figured I'd let the local guys put them on for me, they've got the torque wrenches.

9. tsc

tsc Member

I noticed that your from Ontario.

The cheapest place I found was Cerka.ca in Milton Ontario (I only live about 1.5 hours down the 401 from them--So not sure about shipping).

I can't also tell what size yours are, but Princess Auto has trailer tires on sale quite often (too bad they don't stock ST185/60/13's LRD)

10. colby

colby Member

I had a look at Cerka, however the best deal I found was through Tire Rack for the Goodyear trailer tires delivered to the UPS store in Odgensburg, NY. It's a short drive from where I live.

Sent from my 3448B69 using Tapatalk

11. Frankp877

Frankp877 New Member

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you have access to a US mailing address then get the Goodyear Marathon Radials, Just try to confirm first if they are pre or post recall.. (GY had a recall on the Marathon series of tires, not sure if they were just the LT tires or the ST's too) .. If your looking in Ontario, Cerka hands down is the cheapest ..

I might be paying Cerka a visit later this week to pick up 2 extra spare tires ...

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Aw heck, you still had 500 miles left on that tire! [;)]

Yeah, after two blowouts on the ATV trailer this season, I can attest to the pain and cost. The local tire shop here took care of me with my spares. They did some mods to the tire to make them more rugged, which they said essentially they do for most trailers that go off road. I'm not even going to get into that here though.

I share the pain on finding good prices... shipping to Alaska is NEVER, EVER free. I've found great tires, and the shipping exceeds the tire/wheel cost. So the local guys get my business since they charge about the same as getting tires shipped here.

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Aww man. Do tell! Do tell!

My iPhone did this

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Nope. It will only lead to cautionary tales of how I am risking my life and those of the free world. I'm happy with the mods they did and it made good sense and only cost $50 per tire.

16. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I remember from a recent thread that trailertiresandwheels.com had some really low prices and the poster received 9 week old tires. I'll probably look into that site next year when it's time to replace.

My iPhone did this

17. davej

davej New Member

That was me. And I just got back last week, from a 700+ mile trip with them. About 6-1/2 hr drive each way and the new radial tires and wheels did great. Would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone!

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

18. pej

pej Member

I have the 12" version of these Kumho tires in a load range D and they are great. Sadly they do not market the 12" and 13" versions in NA anymore.

2001 Palomino Pony 21 -- 2011 Ford Escape
    headpond.ca/Palomino.html

19. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

First off, I'll agree that there may not be too much life left in that one, maybe only the rest of this season. [:D]

Second, whats with the flat spot in the center of the tread (non-exsistant tread) ? Do you have the brake controller on too strong. You may want to look into that so you don't flat spot your new ones.
    Maybe you're dragging that tire a lot and building a huge amount of heat in it. As was mentioned before, it looks like it got really hot. I do agree though that they are old tires.

20. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member