Time for something like an Rpod

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Indianrock, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

I could keep using our popup but now that we've entered our 70s, something with less setup and more comfort is appealing.
    Looking for suggestions for something in the $10k range, used that our 2012 Nissan Frontier ( 4 liter six ) can pull.
    It will just be wife and I plus two small dogs.
    I'd like to get a list of "Do Not Buy this Make" along with thoughts on things like the Rpod 171, Scamp 16 and so forth.

We like the idea of a bed that is never taken down, even if you're left with a table and seats for just two people.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Casita gets my vote. They are well built and appear to hold their value very well.

3. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Thanks for that. My wife was surfing around and not finding much on the used market for those. Anything wrong with Rpod or Scamp?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had an old friend who had the r pod 179 and they loved it. They loved the floor plan they did comment the cabinets were too cheap. At the time ,they bought brand new so they really didn't have anything to say on it. Fell out of contact with them sadly so have no idea if they still like it. I was actually looking into one myself but changed my mind as I didn't think my vehicle would like me too much when I tow in the mountains.

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

A-Frame??

6. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

I like the idea of pull in, level it up and start the coffee pot. :) With these "retractables" I always worry that after several years the rig will have to be seriously dismantled to get at the lifting mechanisms.
    We've decided that since we're not hotel people, don't even like VRBO rentals, tried one cruise and that was enough and have no plans to travel to Europe, we may as well get the trailer we want, within reason.

Overland likes this.
  7. xxxapache

Scamps are also well built. I believe the difference in them and Casita is the Casitas floor is fiberglassed on the bottom while the Scamp is not.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

they asked to minimize setup. Which leads to a Travel Trailer

9. Anthony Hitchings

Our friends bought a Winnie-Drop (I think it is) for $13k - they drove to the factory to pick it up.

10. Anthony Hitchings

FYI - there is no lifting mechanism in the usual sense. Just four springs. But in any event, for you I wold not recommend it.

11. Anthony Hitchings

When checking out the travel trailers, keep in mind the "open feel". They tend to fill up with cabinets and get a closed in feel.

12. Anthony Hitchings

QUOTE: We like the idea of a bed that is never taken down, even if you're left with a table and seats for just two people. ENDQUOTE

that's how we use our ALiner, except when digging into storage or servicing our (inside) flooded batteries (which are vented externally).

13. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We have a Jayco 174 bh. I’d look at the 154 Baja. Great, light little trailer.

14. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

The only difference is I spend 40 seconds raising the roof

Hey Anthony. Mine is a different floorpan from yours. Its also a Expedition

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

A lot of the people with our brand of TT seem to have come over from Rpod, for whatever reason. Not knowing the towing limit on your vehicle, I don't know what weight it will pull. [Our '05 4Rnner is rated for 5000# but the 3500# Retro stressed it under some conditions, and it's much more comfortable with our current truck.)
    Friends love their Casita, pull it with an '07 4Runner, and yes, it seems there aren't a lot used out there. Neighbors here in NM have a Casita they bought used; they went to KY to buy it (they have a son there so that helped). Scamp is similar, was founded by an off-shoot of the Casita makers.
    One of our requirements was a bed that stays made up, which we have. Our friends leave the dinette made into a bed, and there is a bench with a small table they use if they eat inside.

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, when looking at used stuff, you are limited to whats available. I would say to keep looking untill you find something you want. You will know ow when you find it. Or it finds you.

kcsa75 likes this.
  17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just my 2 cents. I would spend my money on a wider camper than a Rpod. With the body on the inside of the wheels it makes a skinny camper. If I remember correctly about 6 and a half feet interior width. Without a slide. Just saying.

Rik Peery, neighbormike and xxxapache like this.
  18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I would suggest looking at as many different trailers as you can to get a feel of what you like and what will work for you. My criteria was this: 17-22 feet, a bed that is a bed (and only a bed!), and most importantly; if I am hauling it I need to be able to use it (aka fit in it)! So many campers have bathrooms & showers that are so tiny and impractical... same with dinettes. Another thing to consider is tank sizes (bigger IS better here!).

Rik Peery, xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. xxxapache

I agree. I wanted a real bed, a comfy place to sit, and tanks big enough for several days of usage before dumping or taking on water.

I did not want a dinette. I am glad my trailer doesnt have one.

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  20. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Pal here at home has a small RV business; we asked about the RPod, he suggested Nucamp, well built units...I'm w/ triple x apache, Casita/Scamp etc for longevity if you can find 'em, wife is leaning that direction...just sold an Aliner, served us decent for a year or so, but didn't wanna piddle w/ up/down etc later on. Good luck...

xxxapache likes this.