Time to replace propane regulator and hose

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by dandcp, Feb 18, 2017.

1. dandcp

dandcp Member

Last summer trip, we smelled gas leaking, and then heard the hissing. Oh no!
    So now time to replace this. Probably is the original one from 1985. (yes, the tank is probably too! [:O], that is getting replaced too, don't worry [:D])

But since I don't know what type this is exactly, I am asking for help. What do I need to get exactly? Maybe someone could send an Amazon link. OR is it best to get locally at a store (we live in Los Angeles, so not always easy to drive in traffic all over looking for correct part in stock)

Let me know what I need please.

Oh, don't have heater at all, just 1 stove, and frig (tho ol' frig hasn't worked in a while) mainly for cooking stove.

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You can get an inline regulator at Lowes for 15 bucks. It has the new style hookup knob on it for attaching it to your tank.

Attached Files:

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

those above are single stage and work but would not meet NFPA/RVIA standards

It would be best to replace you 2 stage regulator with a 2 stage regulator.

These days a pigtail attaches to the propane container and then to a 2 stage regulator, the regulator is secured to something, usually vertical with the vent pointed down

It is possible to get a horizontal 2 stage regulator, they use the ole left hand tread POL to connect to the container.
    https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Two-Stage-Regulators-p/06-0379.htm

Note: in your pic the vent is not pointed down, the vent allows the internal diaphragm to 'experience' atmospheric pressure on one side and may accumulate some water so the vent points down to let water etc out.

I added an ACME connector to my horizontal 2 stage regulator without issue.

[​IMG]

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

That is for a BBQ and is not approved for RV use. A dual stage regulator is needed.

To the OP, if you can take the pup to your local LP place like Amerigas or whatever, they should fix you up with everything you need.

6. dandcp

dandcp Member

Thanks bupkis for the info. yes, I was assuming this was a 2 stage and those listed above didn't look right. and yes, the photo is an older one before I learned more about the vent positioning. Thanks again for the great insight and reminder tho.

Looks like this one is the same as you mentioned. http://a.co/9PtDUXf and since I get free shipping with Amazon, I think I may try this one. I am thinking of replacing the rubber hose that goes from this to the main line underneath. it is 30 inches long. not exactly sure of the end size threads. I am guessing this would do. http://a.co/6QqfVKl would this hose fit into that regulator?

7. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

You said you smelled gas. Did you test with soapy water to see what was leaking? I smelled gas from my PUP and thought I needed a new regulator. It turned out to be just the crimped connection on the pigtail. I only needed to buy a new pigtail.

8. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I had to replace the hoses on a 2014 model after 2 yrs since they were leaking...
    1985 I would say go through the entire system.

9. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

The parts you listed look like they are the right ones - depending on what type of fitting the non-regulator end of the hose attaches too. The hose you list has a female flare at that end so you should disconnect your existing hose and verify what you need. Also, you will need some joint compound or Teflon tape that is rated for gas piping for connecting the hose to the regulator. If the female flare fitting is correct, you don't need joint compound or Teflon tape at that fitting. (You can still use some there but it will only keep the joint lubricated, it won't help seal against gas leaks.)

For safety sake, go through the entire system and test all of the fittings with soapy water.

10. dandcp

dandcp Member

yes, thanks for pointing that out, but yes, I did test with soapy water and yes, it is indeed the regulator.

11. dandcp

dandcp Member

Thanks Boatnman.
    the pigtail hose from the regulator to the frame connection is female on frame side, and male on the regulator side. just hoping the new regulator hole size is the same as my hose.

thanks for the additional info too, very helpful!

12. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

The Amazon descriptions said the regulator output is 3/8" female NPT and the hose was .38 Male Pipe Thread. 3/8" converts to .375" so you should have a match.

13. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Do not use thread tape on the flair fitting, your asking for trouble!!

14. Lixa

Lixa New Member

IMG_0220.JPG This is very helpful. My regulator looks exactly like that one, except it's hooked to two tanks. The vent on mine points to the side :(
    And it's screwed into the body of the camper like that. I did think I smelled a little gas during my camping test run today (so I closed the tank again after testing the stove...). I'll test everything with the soapy water here in the driveway and see what's up.