Time to sell our camper? Maybe we are not ready for this...

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jcrew6311, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Don't give up! Camping is an amazing family experience! Our first camping trip was when our oldest 5 kids were 6 mo. twins, 2, 3, and 4. Yes, we had 5 children under 5 years old (with 3 in cloth diapers) . . . and we went tent camping. :) We tent camped for many years, as our family grew to having 12 children. After a serious car accident and back problems for me, we made the big move to a pop-up trailer. With that, I started taking the kids out on 5-6 week cross country trips (while hubby stayed home to work). We have gone to 42 states. I have driven 8,000 and 9,000 mile trips without a backup driver. And, we still LOVE camping in our pop-up. Last year, we splurged and moved up to a pop-up with a cassette toilet. My dream RV.

Suggestions: Camp in warmer weather. Leave the dogs at home or at a kennel. Enjoy your time with your wife and kids!!!

Trina King likes this.
  2. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

My advice is to camp in the back yard for a couple nights until both kids are a bit older/you know what you really need to make it happen more smoothly.

3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I did notice it was a very long thread with loads of good advice in it... Others might benefit from the experience??

A very sad and bad experience indeed.. so sorry.. Poor mom and dad...

I hope he hasn't truly given it up!!!

It is always good to know your limits. Learning them is always the hard part.. lol

But there is always HOPE even in the worst of experiences...

One of my favorite sayings in circumstances like this is:

"GROW THROUGH WHAT YOU GO THROUGH" but don't give up on your Passions...

(as I have gotten older that quote has become even more important)

Truthfully, if "camping" is something a couple would truly love to do in these circumstances.. It might be a great place and time where they can seek to have a "date", if possible. For a least a little while...

I'll have to give it to him, taking 2 babies and animals in a Pop up, on a NEW EXPERIENCE was very ambitious and brave move.

Just a piece of advice on that:

1. Honestly, I couldn't stress enough that "drive way camping" is truly the way to go until you are able to HELP the children and the animals understand their ROLES, and their limits.

2. KNOW YOUR PUP...I know we learned a great deal about our PUP through "drive way camping" too.. "areas" that we didn't even know existed until we camped in the backyard.... Heat, a/c, plumbing...etc..

It took us HOURS, to realize that it was a KILL switch under the bunks that was keeping the LIGHTS from coming on in our PUP. That would have been a bad experience in a PUP at night.

donna

EmilyC likes this.
  4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Like everyone else said, try again in warmer weather without the dogs. Maybe invest in baby carriers for your little for set up and tear down. Toddler carriers can be used from about two till near four years old , depending on the brand and fit. If the infant can sit on his own, you can wear him on your back as well. Now you both can work hands free.

5. cottontailfarm

cottontailfarm New Member

I know this is an old thread but I registered on the site to say "thank you" to everyone that posted. I read it looking for tips on camping this season with a 3 year old and 9 month old baby. We don't have a pop up but own a tiny 1964 Metzendorf camper. Lots of great advice and encouragement :)

jnc likes this.
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

It great to see an old post listing continue on haha...

I was very active with my OFF-ROAD between 2008 and 2014 and my battery bank finally gave it up. Then we had some other issues..

I am just now getting things back up and hopefully this season will hit my favorite camping spots around here. We never got into the RV TRAVELING urge but loved to camp back off grid usually behind Harrisonburg VA along the wooded Virginia/West Virginia state line... Loved camping at LOFT MTN and few in State camp sites down the Blue Ridge Parkway...

My favorite times are waking up Creekside somewhere back in the woods and drinking my fresh ground and brewed bean coffee watching the fish jump in the creek... It don't get no better than that for me hehe...

We are definitely not into 'the keeping up with Jones' so to speak....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]