Tinted window tearing off zipper

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by OrangeCrush612, Sep 21, 2021.

1. OrangeCrush612

OrangeCrush612 New Member

I have a 1998 Viking that we bought this spring. We got a pretty good deal on it from a family friend. I am redoing the interior roof to repair some water damage from around the roof vent from a summer rain storm. I am going to put in a roof AC unit to help with the hot and muggy summer days. The issue that I can't figure out on my own is how to fix a few of the tinted window edges that have torn away from the zipper. There are probably 3 or 4 spots where this has happened with the largest section probably 18-20" long. I can't find a good solution posted on here so I thought I would start a new thread. Thanks in advance!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sewing awl. They sell them on amazon. Aka speedy stitcher.

3. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

I have a 97 Viking and had the same thing happen. I found that they used a very thin vinyl for the windows, only .012 thick, what you can get from Sailrite is .020 thick, which is thicker. My repair hack was to cut strips of new vinyl about 3" wide, and hand sew them to the zippers. I then used VLP glue to glue the new vinyl to the old . I did it that way to allow the shrinkage to not be pulled super tight and to allow for more shrinkage. I used a curved needle, and nylon button and carpet thread to sew with.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. OrangeCrush612

OrangeCrush612 New Member

Thanks for the tips!