Tip and Tricks

Discussion in 'Moderator Section' started by JoeCamper, Aug 27, 2009.

1. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

I thought I would start a list of subject for the Tips & Tricks. As we see things that need to be addressed we can add them to the list. Everyone just edit this post to add to the list.

• How-To - Smiles/Emoticons
    • Topic Subject Line - Keep it short
    • Quotes - When and what to quote
    • Who's On-line - Adding a Buddy
    • Recent Unread Topics verse Updated Topics
    • Personal Messaging Do and Don't
    • Posting a Message including fonts, colors, etc
    • Right Buttons: Donations, CafePress, Campgrounds, Manuals, TV, Travel Maps
    • web site statistics ?
    • recipes, submit and reading
    • posting ediquette
    • forum searching and member searching
    • updating your profile
    • posting a photo

Steve and I got together to work on a few PUP things this evening and desided to rotate a 'tips and tricks' section on the main page. We are going to post, edit, review and modify in this section before moving them to be viewed on the main page. You thoughts, suggestions and help would be great.

Format:

Number Them:
    Link to the Full Board of Tips:
    Title:
    Description:
    Examples:
    Link to Help Section:

2. JoeCamper

Topic: Smileys
    While smileys can be viewed as purely whimsical in nature, they can also play a valuable role in clarifying the written word in much the same way as vocal inflections and/or facial expressions clarify the spoken word. Like most forum software, SMF provides a standard range of smiley images which can be added to posts by clicking the relevant icons or typing the relevant codes. A don't use smileys option is naturally also provided for those occasions when you don't want typed character combinations that would normally be displayed as smileys to be converted to the expected images!

The smileys shown here are the standard set from the SMF default theme and may differ from forum to forum.

Name Image (click to insert) Code (type to insert)
    [table]
    [tr][td]Name[/td][td]Image[/td][td]Code[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]PupUp[/td][td][PU][/td][td][nobbc][PU][/nobbc][/td][/tr]
    [/table]
    Smiley :)
    Wink ;)
    Cheesy :D
    Grin ;D
    Angry :mad:
    Sad :(
    Shocked :eek:
    Cool 8)
    Huh ???
    Roll Eyes ::)
    Tongue :p
    Embarrassed :-[
    Lips Sealed :-X
    Undecided :-\
    Kiss :-*
    Cry :'(

Please note that not all of the smiley codes will be correctly parsed and converted to images unless their opening spaces are present.

3. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

What is the deal with the brackets....are they needed on only certain icons, but not others?

[nobbc][:)] :) PU [PU][/nobbc] = [:)] :) PU [PU]

4. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I have noticed that, too. I thought I was doing something wrong.

On the old board, there was a link that listed all of the emoticons and their appropriate code. I liked that. I printed it out and kept it by my computer for reference.

5. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

The [xxxx] ones were the ones specific to the old Snitz forum software, where the rest are the stock ones provided in SMF and other forums.

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Tips & Tricks List

I thought I would start a list of subject for the Tips & Tricks. As we see things that need to be addressed we can add them to the list. Everyone just edit this post to add to the list.

• How-To - Smiles/Emoticons
    • Topic Subject Line - Keep it short
    • Quotes - When and what to quote
    • Who's On-line - Adding a Buddy
    • Recent Unread Topics verse Updated Topics
    • Personal Messaging Do and Don't
    • Posting a Message including fonts, colors, etc
    • Right Buttons: Donations, CafePress, Campgrounds, Manuals, TV, Travel Maps
    • web site statistics ?
    • recipes, submit and reading
    • posting ediquette
    • forum searching and member searching
    • updating your profile
    • posting a photo

7. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks 01: How to post pictures in a topic

USED AS NUMBER 01

Note: These directions are not specific to Popupportal. Almost all modern forum software follows this same method.

You can not "upload" images directly to Popupportal, you must store your images on an image service like Webshots, Flickr or PhotoBucket or one of many other images servers.

Once you have uploaded your images to an imaging service, you may link individual images to your posts. Each of these services functions differently as to how they allow you to link to your images. Most has a screen that says "Link to it"' or "Photo URL". The link will always end with .jpg or .gif.

Once you have the URL to the picture, in a new topic or a reply body, enter:

[nobbc][​IMG][/nobbc]
    The trick to making this work is the [nobbc] [/nobbc] tags.

Example using the Popupportal logo:

[​IMG]

What I entered was:
    [nobbc][​IMG][/nobbc]

It's that simple.

Click here for additional Tips & Tricks and Forum Help

8. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks 02: How to enter links into a post

USED AS NUMBER 02

If you'd like to place a link in a post, it is very helpful to shorten it so that the entire URL is not displayed in your post....it is really easy to do....

Let's say I'd like to link to an outside webpage. If I just placed the URL in my post, it would look like this:

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=trailer+leveler&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=p_keyword&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

BUT I could make it look a lot cleaner by doing this:

[nobbc]Trailer Levelers[/nobbc]

and here is how it would display:

Trailer Levelers

For savvy users from the old site, you'll notice that you no longer need to place the quotation marks around the URL address...messed me up the first time or two [?:~{]

Some other folks use a website called Tiny URL to accomplish the same thing.....

Thanks for keeping the Portal easy on the eyes!

9. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks 03: Personal Messaging

While email is a good way to correspond directly with members, it also has several drawbacks for forum purposes: you must open your email application to write and send the message, the recipient must open his/her email application and check his/her mail, your message will be mixed in with all the other mail and it can sometimes take several minutes to an hour for mail to reach the recipient.

As an alternative to email, the forum software offers a faster, more private method. Personal messaging on the boards provides instantaneous delivery to the recipient's private mailbox. The mail is sent and received entirely through SMF, so neither you nor the recipient have to open another program or leave SMF. Personal messaging also offers both the sender and the recipient greater privacy because no-one's real email address is revealed. Personal messages show only the handle and name of both parties.

If a recipient isn't online, personal messages wait in the member's PM box until the next time he/she logs in and reads and/or deletes them. SMF Personal Messages is a self-contained, highly private email system.

Reading Your MessagesTo read your personal messages, you need to be logged in, then follow the link that says something like 'Hey, [username], you have x messages, x are new'.

10. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks 04: Starting a New Poll

USED AS NUMBER 05

A poll is basically a topic with an added question and voting options, started by clicking New Poll instead of New Topic as described above. To post a poll it is necessary to fill out the Question field and at least two of the Option fields in addition to the Subject and Message fields required by a standard topic. Further options to configure how many choices the user may vote for, how long the poll should run, whether users can change their votes and what conditions must be fulfilled for the results to be displayed should be self-explanatory.

To offer more than five choices in a poll, simply click Add Option as many times as necessary.

Note that it may also be possible for some users in some forums to add a poll to an existing topic.

11. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks 05: Replying to a Post, Starting a Topic

USED AS NUMBER 03

Replying to a Topic or Poll
    Replying to a topic or poll is basically the same as starting a new topic, but it's not necessary to enter anything in the Subject field unless you wish to change what's already there. To vote in a poll, you simply have to select your chosen option(s) and click Submit Vote.

If 'Quick Reply' has been enabled, a simple reply field will also appear after the post(s) on a page, but you'll have to type your Bulletin Board Code and Smileys manually if you choose to use it.

Starting a New Topic
    Browse to the board where you wish to post and click the New Topic button (positioned by default at both the top and the bottom of the board, as shown in the User Help Introduction), which should take you to the Start new topic screen. While this presents a number of options, the two most important are the Subject field and main Message field (not labeled as such, but obvious by its size). So enter your subject and start to type (or paste) your message into the main text area, noting that a message missing either a subject or a body will not be accepted for posting until it has both. If you're happy with your plain text message, you can then post it by clicking the Post button and/or preview it first by clicking the Preview button, but there are many further options available to make things that little bit more interesting.

12. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks 06: Fancy Posts with Tags and Nesting

USED AS NUMBER 04

Tags and Nesting
    Before listing the available BBC buttons and their purposes, let's see how they work by imagining that we want to post some text in bold type. While we can start by clicking the B (Bold) button and typing our text between the tags it produces, it's often more practical to type the text first, highlight it and then click the button. So typing 'text', highlighting it and clicking the 'B' button should produce 'text', which renders as text when posted or previewed. (NB This doesn't work in Opera, which inserts the tags at the end of the post.) Subsequently highlighting 'text' and clicking the I (Italicized) button will produce 'text', which not only renders as text when posted or previewed but also introduces the concept of nesting, which means that each new set of tags in a case like this should be seen as a new 'box' containing both the original text and any tags already applied to it.

Note that the BBC tags can also be typed and edited direct instead of clicking the buttons.

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]Tag Name -[/td]
    [td]Button -[/td]
    [td]Code -[/td]
    [td]Output -[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Bold[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td][b ]Sample[/b][/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Italics[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td][i ]Sample [/i][/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Underline[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td][u ]Sample[/u][/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Strikethrough[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td][s ]Sample[/s][/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Font Size[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Font Color[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [td]Sample[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

13. JoeCamper

Phil:
    I was wondering if there is a way to rotate the 'tips and tricks' on the main page without doing a cut and paste to a new topic?

I don't want to loose the number of times it has been viewed.
    Thanks

14. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

We can just create another block that looks at the TOP Sticky in that forum, so as you add another new sticky in the tips and tricks, it will then show up on the front page.

15. JoeCamper

Tip and Tricks 06: Replying and Quotes

You may have seen a shaded text area in some post and wondered what it is, why it’s there, and how do you add it to your posts. These are Quote Boxes. They are intended to help you under stand the content of the current post by referencing information from a past post. And there are three ways to include Quote Boxes within your post.

To begin with, Quote Boxes should used sparingly and really only when the information you wish to quote is off the screen. In other words “Don’t quote the last post”! Also, there is no need to quote the entire previous post, only the relevant information. Ignoring these two basic rules of using Quote Boxes, will displease the administrator.

There are three options to reply to a post. A Basic Reply, a Quoted Reply and an Authored Quote Reply.
    Quotes should not be included in every post.

1) Basic Option: Reply to an existing thread by clicking on the top or bottom 'Reply' menu option on the forum page.
    [​IMG]

2) Quote Option: By using the 'Quote' button, you can manually add a quote to your post.

Click on the 'Insert Quote' button and type the quoted information.
    [​IMG]
    Example: [nobbc]
    [/nobbc] Results:

3) Authored Quote Reply
    [​IMG]

You’ll note that using the third method will not only insert a Quote Box containing the entire post, but also tags the Quote Box with the original author. The author’s tag is a link back to the original post, so if the reader wishes to review the entire post, all they have to do is click on the author’s tag. And before adding your comments, edit the quote down to the bear essentials required to highlight your post. So instead of the entire original posts, reader would see something like:

Quote Boxes help the reader understand the flow of the conversation. But use them sparingly and only use enough information to refer back to the original post. Remember, the reader most likely has already read what you are quoting. There is no need for them to read it twice.

16. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Correct, it drives me nuts when I see members do that, and it's a short drive.

17. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

Frickin' idiots....they should have their nuts torqued.....

18. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    LOL

19. JoeCamper

Tips & Tricks: Reviewing New Posts

Just me putting together a new tip for our members... let me know if it looks like crap?

There are many different ways to keep up-to-date and review posts on the portal. I'm going to cover four of the most popular.
    Recent Topics - Forum Boards - Recent Unread Topics - Updated Topics
    (Different ways for Searching will be coming soon!)
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Recent Topics is a fast and easy way to display the titles of the last twelve member posts. This is located at the 'sky scraper' box on the side of the site screen.
    [*]Click Forums on the main menu to display member's posts organized by catagory/topic.
    (Keep an eye on the open popup icon on the left - there are new posts on that board)
    [*]Recent Unread Topics (located toward the bottom of your profile box) to display recent topics posted that you have not read.
    Click on Image to Enlarge
    [*]Updated Topics (located at the bottom of your profile box) is where you can see a list and read threads that you have posted to in the past.
    Click on Image to Enlarge

Click here for additional Tips & Tricks and Forum Help[/list]​

20. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Tip and Tricks - Reviewing New Posts

Just me putting together a new tip for our members... let me know if it looks like crap?

There are many different ways to keep up-to-date and review posts on the portal. I'm going to cover four of the most popular.
    Recent Topics - Forum Boards - Recent Unread Topics - Updated Topics
    (Different ways for Searching will be coming soon!)

1. Recent Topics is a fast and easy way to display the titles of the last twelve member posts. This is located at the 'sky scraper' box on the side of the site screen.
    Click on Image to Enlarge​

2. Click Forums on the main menu to display member's posts organized by catagory/topic.
    (Keep an eye on the open popup icon on the left - there are new posts on that board)

3. Recent Unread Topics (located toward the bottom of your profile box) to display recent topics posted that you have not read.

4. Updated Topics (located at the bottom of your profile box) is where you can see a list and read threads that you have posted to in the past.