Tipping the Stove and sink into position

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Balone42, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Balone42

Balone42 New Member

My Coleman Tacoma is a 2003 and has the stove/sink setup that has to be rotated up 180 degrees into position instead of like the newer models that just slide back an up into position on top of the cabinet. that means I have to literally lift the whole unit up and then hang on for dear life when I lower it back to the floor. As I have gotten older it is heavier and heavier. I thought of putting a long handle on the side of the cabinet to make it easier but anything long enough to be helpful, is too long to clear the back of the tent. Any ideas? [RTM]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Have someone help?

3. Balone42

Balone42 New Member

Getting help is impossible. There is only room for one person. Two of us would be stepping on one another. Thanks tho. :)

4. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

To go with your handle idea, get a telescoping painters pole, and use that. It would let you extend it when needed. Otherwise, maybe a curved piece of conduit, or a pulley system?

5. Leyster

Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

Could the handle be made to come off for storage, some sort of screw in plate, guess maybe something like what is used for a tire jack handle. If I'm making myself clear, I'm definetly not a handy man.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

On our 2008 Fleetwood/Coleman Seapine it also has a flip over galley. On the flip over cabinet there is a galley support pole securely mounted on each side. This allows the galley to be supported when in the stowed position. I have noticed that when the stove is removed the cabinet is much, much lighter. Do you use the stove at all? If you use another stove you bring with you then maybe just leave the camper stove at home! Ours has a counter top piece that fits in place of the stove. I use the galley support poles as a handle! Maybe you could mount a handle on the back of the flip over cabinet so you have something to hold onto?

Just my [2C]

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

I have a flip over stove/sink/storage as well. I solved one problem by taking out the stove and sink, but that's me. I never used them. I stow all my paper products in the upper part, and keep the heavier stuff on the bottom. The Cobalt came with a web strap almost securely attached to the splash guard to be used as a handle. A nice idea, but poorly executed. I drilled out the hole, got a wider and longer strap, a slightly longer bolt and some good size flat washers and lock washers and replaced the whole lift. The strap lays on the floor when in travel mode, is easy to pick up and pull to set the upper unit in place and stays out of sight behind the unit when in use. That's how I got around the issue.
    MR

8. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

I moved my cans to the bottom drawer, as they weighed way too much for me to lift the thing into place. I only have lightweight plastic cups and dishes in the part of the cabinet that is lifted.

I also wear leather gloves to lift this; that seems to help me and makes it easier on my hands. I wear gloves for many of the set up tasks. I guess I'm a girlie girl.

I lift it half way, with my palms being up against the bar (palms towards the ceiling), rest it on my legs and then adjust my hand position so that the heels of my hands are pushing the bar (palms are facing towards the window/sink area). I hope that makes sense. I'm trying to visualize what I do ...

(I don't think of myself as too weak, but I am trying to work out with weights at least 3 times a week. - Even the Wii Fit helps with strength and endurance. We gave one to my parents who are in their early 70's and it has really helped my Dad get off the couch.)

Here's another tip - When I lift the cabinet, I move it up and down twice to help drain the sink. I've found that really gets all the water out and I have no water when we open up again.

Good Luck!

9. arffch

arffch Member

10. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Hi Balone42,
    Our 2008 Fleetwood Sedona has the swing over galley. Follow the link to a photo of the galley. photo Going down is easy with the pole that came with the PUP. Going up is a little bit of a challenge for me, although we keep light things in the top like paper products, etc.
    As for making that pole longer to get more leverage, that may be done. If I make mine longer when swinging it will hit our dinette. That pole is made an exact length to fit under the galley (upper half) when down and for the galley (upper half) to set level with the floor.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It's interesting that the pole in that picture is mounted along the center of the cabinet. On mine the pole is mounted at the back edge of the cabinet, near the window.

In either case, the pole can't be made permanently longer because when the galley tips over the pole sits on the floor and if it were longer it would prevent the bottom of the tip-over section from getting low enough to be under the bunk end when it slides in. However, one could increase leverage by using a "cheater bar," i.e., a slightly bigger diameter pipe that could slide over the pole and then be removed when the galley was 90 degrees of its way through its 180 degree arc.

12. ezduzit

ezduzit New Member

I have a similar stove / sink setup. If I couldn't lift it, I would make the splash gaurd detachable, trade the spigot for a sprayer on a hose, and lower the whole thing below the max height of the camper base. (On mine, this would only be a couple of inches.) This way, it would never need flipped. You still have a sink and stove, and the set-up would be to put splash gaurds in place when you cook.

13. azgilamonster

azgilamonster New Member

If you can get a larger dia. pole to go over the original then drill holes on the side to make it adjustabl lenghts like the bunk end supports would /should work at least in my mind it would LOL
    or maybe a smaller one that can go inside the other one and telescope out with the adjustable positions