tips and advise on setting up solo

Hoosier Daddy

Super Active Member
Jun 24, 2014
You are putting it in the hoop out at the end of the bunk first, then pushing outward while putting the inboard end up and in its retainer... Right?
(If that makes sense)

fletcher4pa

Apr 7, 2015
Yes, I thought the first time we set it up it might have been because it was chilly and the canvas was stiff but the next time was warm and we still had issues. I'm putting a note on the calendar to check everything out when we open it up in the spring. We just covered it last week and we don't have a garage that we can open it up in.
Thanks guys.
Kathy

martica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

Well, just got back from my 1st solo trip. What I have to say is the folks in this forum and the folks I met at the campground were more than helpful. Thank you all. Now, I still had major issues with the bed ends, they are
surprisingly not adjustable. The only thing I can think of is to maybe trip 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the end of the pole.
I had brought the camper back to the dealer and it took a really strong guy to get the poles in and even he had issues. Everything else worked out just fine. A bit chilly but fun. I'm going to start a new thread, my next trip which is in January will be boondocking and I need advise.
Thanks again [:D] :)

Hoosier Daddy

Super Active Member
Jun 24, 2014
OK... My chiropractor is going to hate me but... Extend the slide out bunk end. Fold thy boby under it. Put your shoulder on the bunk and lift.(legs not the waist).
Manuver the supports into place and relaxe.
Move onto other end and repeat.

Oranges Rhymed

Mar 4, 2011
Hoosier Daddy said:
OK... My chiropractor is going to hate me but... Extend the slide out bunk end. Fold thy boby under it. Put your shoulder on the bunk and lift.(legs not the waist).

This works for me too. It's not really very heavy when you put your legs into it.

thelmuth

Nov 6, 2015
Brooksville, FL
I believe she's talking about the shepherd's poles, not the bed supports.

I don't know about Viking, but on my Jayco the canvas has bungees that attach to the underside of the beds. The first time setting it up I attached the bungees and was not able to get the poles in place. I then took them off and made sure the canvas was loose around the bottom and the poles went in much easier.

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
Hoosier Daddy said:

I can only imagine where that could have gone with a little more typo action. [}:)] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

I wanted to add though, when you're ready to come out from under the bunk end, you might give your stabs a little adjustment. I know they should already be down, but even after just the setup, you'll probably need to adjust here and there. So while I was already stooped over, I just shifted over to the stabs and gave them a little attention on the way to the rear bunk. What's left of my back appreciated a few less repetitive movements! [A]

Happy camping!!

[:D]

dougfam

Feb 15, 2014
We find that it's quicker and easier to set up solo. After backing into our spot. My wife takes the kids to the bathroom then for a walk or something, while I set up the camper. When they come back my wife starts unloading the food and what not while I do kid duty.

PJ popUP

May 28, 2014
Martica, I have the exact same pup as you and as a matter of fact we bought it AZ. My wife (47) has taken it solo from Pasadena CA to the Upper Peninsula of MI twice since we got in June of 2014. To be honest she has much more experience setting it up solo that I, but I think I can point you in the right direction.

After backing in, leveling, setting the stabilizers, raising the front wheel jack, pulling out the bed ends and flipping up the sink my wife goes in and picks up a Shepard hook from on top of the bed, installs it into the black plastic "T" and pushes the hoop out as hard as she can and fits the the end of the hook over one of the 3 tangs. She then does the same on the other end. Then I Zip down the zipper and flip over and Velcro the the lift cover. I then move to the corner of the bed end and fit the vinyl over the corner Velcroing it. I then stretch the vinyl down with one hand and on to the the Velcro strip under the bed end as I move the other hand across to press the vinyl into the Velcro all the way up to the edge of the trailer. I repeat the the Zipping and Velcroing on the 3 remaining sides of the trailer.

Now let's talk screens door, walk in to the trailer all the way up to the toilet, place one hand above your head in the center of the door and push up. With your other hand unsnap one strap. Switch hands and unsnap the other strap then lower that end of the door down until the cables hold it. Now the door is hanging by cables over the toilet and by its straps on the other end. Turn around and face the door opening, put one hand up and push the door up and unsnap the door from the strap. Switch hands if necessary and unsnap the the other side. Slide each your hands to each side of the door as you lower the end of the door to the floor pulling the end with the cables toward the opening while moving the door into the upright position. Once in the upright position and sitting on your floor you will need to twist the door slightly to move it around the fire extinguiher. Then slide the bottom of the door into the groove and push the top half of the door forward into the upright position then lift and hook over the lip at the top. if the lip at the top seems too far away turn around and go to the corner post behind you and push. This will shift the roof over and the door will now line up. Hook the door at the top and slide down into position. Then go outside and press the vinyl into the Velcro. If you have any other questions about the 2105st I or my wife will be happy to answer any questions.

Hint! If the screen door is difficult to close you did not raise the front wheel jack after leveling and setting the four stabilizers.