Tire Age

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by wmgeorge, Sep 13, 2019.

1. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

For some time now I have wondered where the "replace tires at 5 years" rule had came from. Tire makers?
    Turns out its not a Law just a recommendation, so even if the tires spent 3 years of its life in a dark or dim warehouse some place it still counts. Really?

This is a Link to the NHTSA’s website and it turns out the 5 year rule is really just a recommendation and here is the complete story. I can upload the PDF but not sure its needed.

Tires - NHTSAhttps://www.nhtsa.gov › 9719_S1N_Tires_Nwsltr_June13_062713_v4_tag

BTW we have all heard or lived the Chinese trailer tire horror stories, tires new on a trailer, failing on the first trip out and replacements also failing. So why no recall on those if we are really concerned with tire safety??

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have ran tires on my boat, utility trailer, and Apache longer than 5 years, sometimes far longer. I have never had a blow out with a 5+ year old tire. With that said, I probably won't run my TT tires much longer than 5 years because of the damage a blowout can cause on it.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

ran my Miata tires over 10 years - never worried about it. Mileage was low, so tires were not worn appreciably. Age alone was not a problem. Car was mostly stored inside during the day. The insurers and risk managers love to throw out ultra low "replace by" numbers. Same with climbing ropes. Elon's rocket to Mars will be grounded because an O-ring got too old to fly.

4. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

I think it really depends. If you want to replace a tire at 5 years then fine, but there is No real guarantee it will not fail from another cause.
    I think if you Inspect your tires and look closely for tiny age or sun cracks, or tread damage before you leave on a trip. Plus make sure they have the proper air pressure.

But two true stories, I sold a Case 1830 skid steer to a guy from Nebraska. I had a trailer but the tires were old, like old and cracked. I told him it needed new tires and even put it on the Bill of Sale. He towed it 500 miles and did not have an issue.

On our new to us 2003 Rockwood PU Camper, I looked at the tires and decided when we get home (If), I was putting on new tires. So today pulled the tires and repacking the wheel bearings. New tires next week. The date code on the old tires was, guess what….. 2003! Not only that instead of the 65 lbs, they had 34 lbs. Granted I only drove 60 mph on the way home, but someone else was towing this and camping just a few weeks ago!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was talking about my 5 yo tires to my sidekick when my camp neighbor came over to tell his tire story. His tires reached 5 yo and figured they had enough life to make 1000 mile trip. Enroute he had a blow out. He replaced it with his spare continued on his way. Ended up having a blow out on the other side with no more spares he ended up buying 4 new TT tires but left his original spare on and used the fourth tire as the spare. On his route home his original spare blew out. After an extremely expensive lesson he now replaces his tires at the 5 year mark. I may not replace it at 5 years because most of my trips are more "local" I do strongly believe tires will need to be replaced sooner vrs later. Same damage you may not be able to physically see. As mentioned blow out s can cause so much permanent damage especially for campers made out of cheap/light weight material. Just my [2C]

6. xxxapache

Everyone has a story...lol...When I bought the Apache, tires were less than one year old. I checked the air in the tires before pulling out of the sellers driveway. Less than 5 miles down the road, I noticed trailer learning. I pulled over and found I was running on the rim. I never found the tire.

7. xxxapache

Probably the best peace of mind for preventing body damage is a trailer TPMS.

8. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Some cheap tires are lucky to make it 2 years, I tend to purchase tires rated for well over the expected loads. Cheap Chinese tires can fail even when new. Did you read the PDF download?

9. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Or do what I did on the 17 ft Casita we took to Alaska buy the best tires you can including the spare and then build a special frame to protect the lowest point gray and black water drain pipes from a crash stop.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  10. xxxapache

I recently installed TPMS even though I have a reputable brand of tires.

11. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan New Member

xxxapache, TPMS? Tire Pressure Monitoring System? Trailer Preventive Maintenance Schedule?

12. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Heres what it said in part, tire failures due to age are factor, Hmm. So in the accident reports the law enforcement folks fill out… you check cause, tire failure. But how in the heck do they know it was age unless they check the date code on the tires???? I would bet a lot of money they do NOT.

13. xxxapache

I
    Tire pressure monitor system

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Or just upgrade to 15 inch tires and go with LT tires..

15. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I also use an after market TPMs or PUP road tires and the spare.

16. xxxapache

LT tires are still subject to road hazards. A TPMS can save you a lot of body damage.

wmgeorge likes this.
  17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

TPMS will do little good for a road hazards, like blow outs caused by rapid depresserization.. sure a slow leak they will give you some warning.. but so will taking the tire pressures before each time you tow.. which you should be doing regardless ..
    LT tires will handle abuse better then ST tires..

18. xxxapache

Yeah, but I would like get off the road as soon as I saw a loss of pressure alert. The likelihood of trailer damage is lessened.

19. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Currently in the tire biz. You really can't set a hard & fast rule on time/age, but you want to be watching them much closer after 5+ years. Sure there are horror stories out there about brand new tires and other stories about 20 year old tires still holding up. There are also people who win the lottery and people who win Darwin awards. Just because somebody did something stupid and had no harm come of it doesn't mean you'll be as lucky, so use a bit of sense to put the odds in your favor and change your tires anytime you see any indication they are in less than perfect shape.

20. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Mine both exploded at the 6 year mark within 300 miles of each other, on the same trip. At 40 bucks a piece, I'll replace all three every 5 years.