Tire Age

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by wmgeorge, Sep 13, 2019.

1. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

$40 tires? I spent nearly $70 each for load range D 12 inch ones and thats not installed. To be honest I have owned trailers loaded down with snowmobiles, way heavy garden tractors and much more over my 65 years of driving and never had a blow out. Some of those tires were old, this is before the 5 year rule of course. I did Insp my tires every trip out, perhaps thats the key.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

After having a wheel fly off on our first pup, when we didn't remember to re-torque the lug nuts after a tire change, and later, a blow out on the same camper, we'll do whatever we can to prevent either happening again. The blowout may have been due to use, but I'd also just driven through a rough construction zone.
    On the TT, the current tires are almost 2 years old, and close to 15,000 miles - yes, we actually track that now. I had to buy new tires on a trip, when I found the steel belts showing through the rubber, due to mileage and a worn axle. I upgraded to Goodyear Endurance at that point, though the Kenda tires had done well, and finished the trip. That means the tires were driven with the bad axle for the first 3000 or so miles.
    We'll probably replace them after the next trip, which will be 1500 or so miles.

wmgeorge likes this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The danger with an aged but unused tire is that the tread can separate from the tire. When I spent several years using public transit for work, that happened with my SUV tires. They were new when I put them on, but after several years of minimal use and sitting in the driveway, the tread separated. Fortunately we caught it before anything happened - but I was able to literally pull the tread off the tire.

Sometimes, after sitting a while, a tire can develop a bulge in one spot. It weakens the overall strength of the tire that can't be reversed withusage.

If your camper is stored inside, and you have a good understanding of tires, their warning signs, etc., then keeping tires longer than 5 years may be an acceptable risk.

But for the average RV owner, the 5 year recommendation is a well-advised one. Better to spend a bit more money than go on your yearly "big trip" and sit in a tire shop.

I have the simple caps on all my tires: https://www.amazon.com/Gozens-26-80...1219&sprefix=tire+pressure+ca,aps,291&sr=8-14

and I have cat eyes on my clipper's duallies: https://www.amazon.com/Cats-Eye-Pre...568491301&sprefix=cat+eye+tire,aps,219&sr=8-3

I also use an infrared thermometer to check my tires while on the road (at each stop).

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Im ordering new tires this week. I wont put the camper down for winter until mid November but my plan is to keep the current tires and come time for hibernation swapping them for the new ones. I'll let the older tires take the brunt of winter and keep the new tire and wheels in the heated garage.

5. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Yea. I think they were Carlisle radial trail. Dirt cheap on Amazon and walmart. I think the camper tires were actually more like $33 shipped and the 5 tires for the race trailer were $52 each. Mounting/balancing extra.

I don't do it on the camper, although I should. But on the race trailer I jack it up so the tires are just touching enough to keep the trailer stabilized while it's not being used. They are never just parked with the full weight on them and it definitely has made a difference with no flat spots like I used to get.

6. Toedtoes

Thoight of this thread this past week. Last Sunday, headed out to the coast with the Durango and FnR. Drove about 5 hours and was heading north in the redwoods when I heard a loud boom and saw a lot of smoke in my mirrors. Got pulled over quickly. The passenger side tire on the FnR blew. Completely shredded. Got AAA to put the spare on (didn't want to do it myself on that road).

Made it the rest of the way with no trouble.

Come Friday, I'm headed home and just climbed the crest of the mountain before heading downhill when I heard a clang and saw,smoke in my mirrors. Got out and checked. One of the tow chains broke and the hot chain hit one of the small tires on the no-load hitch and burned it flat. So I put that spare on and ziptied the chain back together.

Got home without any more trouble. But have to go buy some new tires and chains before Death Valley.

7. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

I don't understand how a tow chain can break? If you had it dragging when your on the road and it wore through and the heat started a tire on fire, yes.
    I do not understand a tire on the No Load hitch?

8. Toedtoes

I have no idea why the chain broke. It was not dragging, it was not too tight. Looking at the link, it looked like it was weakened with prior owner's use. Might have pulled wrong during a curve and gave way to the weakened part. Once it broke, it dragged and heated up quickly and got run over by the tire.

The no-load hitch has two small airplane tires on a swivel under the front of the trailer - it carries the hitch weight instead of the tow vehicle. Apparently only used on the FoldnRolls.

9. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

I did a google for a clue on what you had and nothing? About the hitch thing, but the camper looks interesting.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  10. Toedtoes

Here's the no-load hitch. It's taken a bit of getting used to, but I really like it. It also helps stabilize the trailer when parked. cb55702709c86651b1db899745ab2063.jpg

wmgeorge likes this.
  11. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Yeah I can see that would work, what is the hitch weight without it, the camper looks interesting!!

12. Toedtoes

The GVWR for the trailer is 2250lbs. So, the hitch weight is between 22 and 45 lbs. My Durango could handle it fine, but it's nice to know I have that extra cushion. It helps reduce sway also.

The camper is great. Hard-sided. Hydraulic lift for the roof. Then just push up the side walls - they are held up by magnets. Two inside walls can be raised - one L-shaped for the bathroom and one on the other side. They keep the side walls from being pushed down.

The front has two double-size bunk beds. The upper is on the fold line so you have to move pillows off. The bottom is great for storage while traveling. Couch that converts to short twin bed. I made a platform and put the couch cushions on that so I have storage space underneath. I'm going to look for a storage box to fit along the floor on that side.

Only about 500 were made. There's one for sale on craigslist right now near Lodi California. A bit high priced but in great condition. It doesn't have the no-load hitch.