Tire blowouts

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Harrisds9880, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

Trying to figure out what would cause this. During a camping trip last weekend we had a tire blowout on the trip up, about 2 hrs into the drive. No biggie I throw on the spare which is brand new, had put on 3 weeks prior. We camp for the weekend, then head home. 2 hours into our drive back the brand new spare blowouts as well. There were no vibrations prior to it blowing out. Never went above 65, in fact the drive back was extremely smooth up until the 2 hr mark. This time though all 5 lugs were sheared off, causing minor damage to the camper. Luckily I was already in the process of slowing down as I heard the tire going, before the rim snapped off. The tire and rim flew across 2 lanes of freeway and went down a large ravene, I was not able to locate them so that I could examine the tire to figure out what happened. The first tire the treads separated from the tire. When the camper was loaded onto a flatbed I looked at the damaged wheel and it was moving fine, not locked up an no wobble. 2 bad tires? Pop up is a 2014 rockwood HW276. First blowout was going uphill, second downhill, literally 2 hrs into the drive each direction.

2. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

What kind of tires?

3. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

That part I don't know, wish I able to find out, we just bought the pup last month through a dealership, they put the new spare on when we picked it up. So this was our first trip with it.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Look at the date the tire was made on the one that is still good. My 2014 Flagstaff had the original tires on the camper were made 2013. We had a bubble develop on one tire and got it changed out during a trip last year. Bought 2 new Carlisle tires January this year, so far no issues. Ultra violet rays from the sun will destroy the tires that is why you should cover them if the camper is parked outside. Make sure air pressure is at max, check the torque on the lug nuts, and don't overload camper. I would also check the wheel bearings and replace if needed on the one hub where the wheel sheered the lugs off. Sorry to hear about all the problems you had!!

5. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I had a similar thing happen with my Palomino on I-285 in Atlanta. All 5 lugs. I was told that the cause was repeated over torquing the nuts. When one breaks, it makes the others go in turn. Or so I was told.

Insurance paid for a whole new axle.

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

mmpopuplvr and akriot like this.
  7. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

I will definitely check the date on the tire that is still on, had it towed to the dealership for the repairs. I checked, double checked and triple checked everything before we left, lol even when we were on the road I stopped and checked everything again to make sure was good. Our previous pup was a 1975, but was not nearly the size of a HW276, so I thought I was being overly cautious.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Di you check and ensure the tire pressure was at the Max. cold pressure prior to starting either leg of your journey ?

9. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

Can't say I checked it at max cold pressure, does that make a difference with me being in a warm climate, AZ, was in the 90's when we left

10. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I would check the load rating of the tires, ensure they are inflated to MAX psi, and repack the bearings.

Did you feel to see if the hubs were warm at any stops?

11. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

I will check all the load ratings and brand when I get a chance to get down to the dealership, which is about 40 miles away. I did notice though when we were on the side of the road, that wheel bearing was packed with grease. The dealership did a full inspection prior to us picking up the PUP after we purchased it. Went over everything on walk through. Tire pressure was @ 48 psi when we started our trip, and tires were nitrogen filled. I was planning on replacing the wheel bearing prior to our trip to the Grand Canyon coming up 4th of July weekend, but since they were inspected and checked off I did not think I needed to replace them just yet. Like I stated before, we just purchased this PUP in March. We do have an insurance claim on it currently, which covered the towing and storage overnight, then re-tow to the dealership since this happened on Easter Sunday, plus whatever damage was done. I could only see the damage on the exterior, as I did not think it was best to open it up on the side of the freeway to inspect it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  12. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Maybe the brake was stuck on? Someone posted a while back they drove with their break away switch activiated and their lug nut studs broke off.

13. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

One of two things; you either over tightened the nuts causing the lugs to shear or failed to tighten the nuts causing the wheel to wobble around until the bolts sheared.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I learned that covering camper tires with tire cover is the worse thing you can do. cover it with plywood is probably the best. or spray tire conditioner on it.

The tire cover does protect tire from sun but not from the heat. the cover builds the heat up and caused tire go bad.

Bearings had nothing to do with causing bolts break off. If one bolt breaks off, it causes stress to the next 2 bolts, when the 3 bolts break off, the remaining 2 will break off immediately.
    why?
    could be the load that is too heavy for one side of camper.
    Could be just one bad bolt.
    Could be a bad pothole.
    could be overtighteness of one or 2 bolts and breaking others in process.
    could be something else.

15. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

That would be a possible explanation for the lug nuts shearing off, but does not explain why 2 tires would blowout, first one was 2 hrs into drive to CG. Second one was 2 hrs into drive home. The tire blew out prior to the rim shearing off the lug nuts. I was already in the process of slowing down to pull over when the rim came off. 2nd tire still had manufacture stickers on it when i put it on.

16. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

Also while not in use, I do store the Pup in the garage. As our HOA is pretty strict.

17. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

1 tire blowing out, well i get that, probably a bad tire. But when a brand new spare goes out literally the same amount of time into a drive, tells me something else is causing that. Normally would call it really bad luck. But I guess I am stuck on the whole "time" issue.

18. Halford

Both blowout on same side of camper? If so, then that 1st blowout must have cracked one or 2 bolts from the violent shaking. Then when you replaced it with spare, it may have been a bad tire, and when the spare tire blew, it shook the rim violently that the bolts came off one by one... That spare tire may have found a nail on the road and could not move to avoid it! boom... but nevertheless on why the spare tire blew, the culprit of the bolt breaking off would be from the 1st blowout. We never know how many blowouts happened on that side of camper - that could have caused bolts go bad.

19. Halford

When I bought 2002 Coleman Niagara, the PO informed me that he tightened the lugs, (he was a muscular guy), I did not think he was ignorant in proper tightening of the lugs until I wanted to lube the bearings a year later. I could not even take off the lug nuts!!!!! I cursed, cursed while I tried to take off the nuts one by one. It was not easy but took my strength to take off the nuts! I had to replace both drums because all the threads on lug bolts were stripped off!!!! but now I have new drums that has bolts welded on and new nuts but at the end I have peace of mind though.

20. Harrisds9880

Harrisds9880 New Member

I have changed many a tire before, so I was pretty confident I didn't over tighten, or under tighten the lug nuts, I did tell my wife this was her fault since she made the comment "What are the odds of getting 2 blowouts", that was after the first one. I do plan on buying a torque wrench specifically for the pup. Will see what they say the damage is, if any on the axle, if none I will be changing out the wheel bearings prior to any other trip. Yes both were on the slide side of the camper.