Tire blowouts

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Harrisds9880, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Or it was because the date code was 2015.. puts it nearly a 5yr old tire..

2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We will never know the cause. Are you saying this tire was 4.5 years old and only been exercised twice?

A tire person told me the difference in car tires and trailer tires was car tires got exercised more frequently.

3. SpaceGuy85

SpaceGuy85 New Member

Look at the sidewalls of your tires for max pressure. That is how much they should be inflated. I doubt 48 PSI is the max. Low tire pressure can cause what we all call the China Bomb syndrome. I have a 2018 Coachman Clippper 125 ST sport Had a blowout on the door side, and, yes the tire pressure was at 65psi per the max pressure. What I found in my case was that the tires were manufactured in 2015, and put on this new 2018 camper at the factory. Forest River is getting the parts to fix it, but, really, even if you do everything right, you can still have issues. Not sure what tires you have, but, you should have D Rated tires for the load of the HW. My tires are ST 185 80 R13's made by Kenda (Loadstar). Best of luck to you, and I have been told this just happens.... As for me, makes me not want to do this anymore. My parents had a 1963 Gator 1200, that my Dad only change the tires 2 times in 20 years. Not sure what tires they were, but, he was always checking tire pressure, etc.... Guess they were American made tires.... Happy Camping!
    20200105_154350.jpg

4. SpaceGuy85

SpaceGuy85 New Member

Yep, you are probably correct, but, I think it was because the tires were almost 4 years old when the camper was built. But, now, Forest River is going to provide 3 new tires with wheels, and fix all of the damage. Probably will be a scary ride the first few times after the repair. Happy Camping to All!

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I give 2 to 1 you had them under inflated.

Snow and xxxapache like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If i were to guess tou hit a pot hole or something that bent the rim underinflating the tire. Thats easy to not notice. Then after driving a bit , bam. Flat. The tire heats up faster due to the less air and rides a bit on its sidwall. Total tire failure. There is a sizable ding in the rim in your first picture. I cant see any other way for that to get there uless tou hit a curb or something after the flat. And yes, it happens all the time, and sometimes its not our fault. You could be the most meticulous driver and it can easily still happen. Hope you get it all fixed up and dont let it discurage you. Just bad luck is all.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  7. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

I would suspect bearings.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

??? Why?

9. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

Bearing over heated disentegrated which over heated wheel. Which melted tire bead. Pow went tire on boat trailer. Had spare, that got us off I-26. Had to buy new new bearing and bearing cup, grease seal, as well as dress the axle with Emery cloth.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying. It can happen. Sure they can fail quick, but not normally. Boat bearings have a harder life than camper bearings. But bearings had been checked.
    Per SpaceGuy85- Whenever I stop for gas or other breaks, I inspect the tires, touching the rubber, and the hubs to see if they are warm. There was no indication of any issues prior to the blowout (at only 40mph)

11. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Member

Ok

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

A bad or unlubricated berring will not be good for the tire. But it will not put a big dent in the rim.

13. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Don't overthink the cause; sometimes "s..t" happens.

14. SpaceGuy85

SpaceGuy85 New Member

Nope, per the side of the Tire, 65 PSI Max, which they were. Again, appreciate all of the input, but, I think we just had old tires... Why Forest River did that, I will never know.

15. SpaceGuy85

SpaceGuy85 New Member

Nope, 65psi, and max speed running down the road was 65mph. Very carefully followed what my dealer told me to do. Again, Forest River seems to agree that the tires were old. I am thinking there is something else going on here.... We will see. Man, give me my parents old 1963 Gator 1200 popup. My dad was cheap, and used the same tires for over 10 years. Guess they did make things better back in the good old days!

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

OK, The tires spec 65 PSI?