Tire change jack for lifted PUP?

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by BamaCamper, Nov 7, 2016.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Yes, The stabilizer jacks are rated for a weight that they can hold. Mine are like 2,500 lbs, so think of them as jack stands, just for safety. You can not jack up with them but they will hold the weight.

On the side of the highway when a big truck passes by, I like safety.

How often do you have to change tires on the road? For me it's like every 5 - 10 years. I just need the tools, not the best tools. I don't need to carry everything in my garage for 10 years. I use TV jack, blocks wood that I use to level my camper and a tire iron. Only thing added to my camper is tire iron. With one TV the tire iron was the right size. Keep it lite.

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

Years ago I remember Craftsman selling a floor jack with two jack stands. The floor jack actually used the pad of the jack stands as the jack itself. Sounds like the same idea applied to a bottle jack. I like the idea, although I prefer to just purchase the stand as I already have plenty of jacks. Plus it would make it cheap enough that I could buy a set of 4.

I do the same thing when it comes to tools in the vehicles. I keep one really cheap set of tools in both the truck and my commuter. All three of our vehicles have the items necessary to jump start a car or change a flat.

3. BamaCamper

BamaCamper New Member

I like keeping it simple and light, too, but in my case the TV jack is inside under the cargo area and has a lift of about 16", so after unloading all our gear onto the side of the road, I would need to put that cheap scissor jack on a lot of wood to reach a 22" jack point with about 3-4" inches more travel to get the tire off the ground. Plus it will be dark and raining, of course. Can I do it once or twice a decade? Sure, but with those factors I wanted to have some better equipment.

I really just wanted a light 24" scissor jack for lifting, but they don't make those other than for stabilizers, apparently. My next job is to figure out where to store this over-engineered bottle jack/stand. Worst case, it will be useful around the garage.

4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Personally, I have never used a jack stand when changing a tire. I can get the wheel off and on without putting my body in the path of falling vehicle, but have to reach under to position and retrieve the stand...

In my younger days I bent some of the lug wrench/jack handles that came with cars. (My "tire irons" are the bars used to get the tire off/on wheel :)) Now, I'm not sure I would have the power to loosen the nuts with that short of wrench. I carry a long breaker bar and sockets...

Carry the cheap tools? If I'm working on something at home, and a cheap socket breaks, foul words, get another socket out of box. For use in "emergency" to get my ship back on the road, I don't want to carry more than one. For changing a tire, I have deepwell impact sockets from Harbor Freight. Deep, for the extra reach, impact, I don't trust them on my air tools, but doubt I will break with a bar...
    I hear of people that carry a floor jack to change a tire. What I have found is that when a tire needs changed a important part for the operation of that jack is missing; A floor, smooth enough and hard enough, for the wheels to roll. The lift pad on that style of jack goes up in a arc, if the wheels can't roll, letting the jack move as the pad goes up, the pad will slip...
    To me, the best plan is to figure out what you need to change the tire on a nice day, in your driveway. Along side the hiway is not the best classroom..

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

"In my younger days I bent some of the lug wrench/jack handles that came with cars. (My "tire irons" are the bars used to get the tire off/on wheel :)) Now, I'm not sure I would have the power to loosen the nuts with that short of wrench. I carry a long breaker bar and sockets..."

I have had the same issue 40 years ago. 30+ years ago a mechanic told me it was from rust and to apply Anti Seize to the threads. Never had a issue after applying Anti Seize. DW in BFE was able to change a tire with the lug wrench.

6. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I"m sure rust was the issue. I use anti seize for years on the outer studs of bud wheels, no problem. If we put on the inner stud the outer stud would come off with the outer nut, PITA. When changed to hub-piloted wheels, they started to break, would not stay tight, so stopped using. Found the best thing was dab a little grease on the thread after the nut has been torqued clean and dry, use a nut cover to keep grease in place. Would the little nuts on the trailer (or TV) hold right with antisize? Maybe, but I know the will without. My wife might be able to change a tire with the lug wrench, but with a socket and 2 ft breaker bar, I know she can. And with the torque wrench, we know the studs or wheel will not break...

7. RangerZ

RangerZ Member

Just bought the Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack for my lifted Starcraft 1019 -- my frame is 18" off the ground in the garage. Thanks for the idea and reference bamacamper! Will use 2x8s as suggested if necessary.

I sure could have used this on the side of the road when a blowout bent the heck out of my frame and my 2 ton bottle jack with 15" didn't come close to giving me the clearance needed to change the tire or the stability needed for the frame "work" (read: sledge) to get clearance in the wheel well for the spare. Thank you and safe travels!

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't cares what anyone says, you can't beat a floor jack. I know about the arc and the wheels not moving but it is still more stable than a bottle jack or a scissors jack. I worked for a tow company when I was much younger. Every wrecker carried a floor jack. Use the floor jack in all kinds of crazy situations, on ice, dirt , gravel, mud. Bottle jacks are very unstable unless it is a giant bottle jack or that weird bottle jack stand thing.

9. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

From our 2006 StarCraft 2107M owners manual
    TIRE CHANGE A tire change on the road may present extra problems and distractions. Be careful. Turn on the hazard warning flashers and set up flares or warning lights. Bock the opposite tire. When raising the trailer , use a scissor jack or hydraulic type jack on a wood block directly under the main beam just behind the axle. DO NOTuse a bumper jack.
    If the trailer must be left on the jack while you get the tire repaired, place a block, or something more solid and substantial then the jack, next to or near the jack, putting most of the trailer weight on the block. BLOCK THE WHEELS BEFORE YOU UNHITCH. just thought I would share this

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It was nice when you could jack a car up by the bumper. Now half the problem when fixing a car is figuring out where to jack it up without bending anything.

11. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

As the owner of an "off road" [ALPU] who frequently utilizes informal campsites- e.g. boondocking- I carry a lot of one foot lengths of 2 x 8 lumber that assist in getting the trailer level. These and a slightly modified bottle jack were all I needed when the one and only flat we've had occurred last summer. I modified the top of the adjusting screw of the bottle jack by building up a ridge of weldment on opposing sides such that it forms a bit of a saddle.

One thing I'm glad I did when we first got the trailer was to do a practice run tire change in the driveway. On a Chalet [ALPU] the spare is stored tucked up under the rear of the box. It cranks up and down as on many cars and trucks, using the stabilizer crank. The bolt the chain winds around is sorta hidden...... Glad I figured it out, and made notes in the owners manual.