Tire heat

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by amannjoy, May 16, 2007.

1. amannjoy

amannjoy New Member

We took our maiden voyage last weekend and our fully loaded Starcraft Centennial 3606 seemed to tow just fine. After the trip home I was checking the tires and noticed they were considerably hotter than the tv tires.

Is that normal?

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Was the pressure correct? It should have been a couple pounds higher than normal because the ehat will expand the pressure. Check when it is cold. If its low, then that is the problem, your tires had to work harder. If it gets real hot then they will blow out. Just make sure your tire pressure is set to manufacturers spec but when the tire is cold, not hot.

Trailer tires are made differently then car tires, and they are not as good as car tires. Our camper has car tires on it (14 inch tires) so we will not have a problem, but I do check the pressure while they are cold.

Also how HOT is HOT to you. If you can put your hand on it and keep it there with out it felling like your getting burned they are OK, but if it feels alot hotter than your TV, there may be a problem. How old are the tires, and is the tread wear even? Also keeping the tires balance will halp alot also. If your tires are out of balance, they will "hop" on every bounce and get hotter. It would not be a bad idea to get the tires balanced and tire pressure adjusted to the proper pressure.

07 Chevy Trailblazer
    07 Chevy Crew Cab
    07 Fleetwood Niagra
    (2) Hobie Adventure Kayaks
    (1) Hobie Outback
    (1) Pungo 120
    (1) Pungo 100

3. amannjoy

amannjoy New Member

Thanks for the reply. The tires are new and look great. They weren't so hot that I had to remove my hand, only hotter than the tv.

4. denverd0n

denverd0n New Member

Did you check the hubs? Might the heat have traveled from the hubs to the tires? A bad bearing can turn a hub scalding hot pretty quickly.

As Yellowkayak said, I would check the tire pressure first. In fact, before the start of every trip I check the trailer tire pressures, and again before heading home from camping. If you cannot find a recommendation from your trailer manufacturer for the tire pressure then they should be filled to the max pressure listed on the side of the tire.

Also, every time I take the camper out, at every stop (unless I've only been driving for a few minutes), I walk around and do a quick visual check of the coupler and safety chains, and put my hand on the trailer hubs to see if they're hot. They can be a bit warm, but they should not be so hot that I cannot leave my hand on them for at least 10-20 seconds without it getting too hot to touch.

Having once been stranded, because of bad bearings, in Brunswick, GA on a Sunday afternoon when I really had someplace that I needed to be, I am now a bit compulsive about checking my bearings. This walk around and check, though, only takes a moment and I consider it well worth it at every stop!