Tire Hunt in 12 & 13" rims

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Anthony Hitchings, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Scenario: road tires OK, 5.3-12, one spare bald, other spare totally disintegrated on a recent trip to Reno air Races.

Considered moving to 13" rims.

Called around, it immediately becomes apparent that getting a 13" radial and a rim is less than trivial, its expensive, special order or too far out.

Abandoned the 13" rim idea due to time constraints of upcoming Albequerque Balloon Festival, and visiting relatives.

Drove to Harbor Freight in Fremont to get a pair of mounted 5.3-12 tire-wheel combos (they were in-stock!!)

Got home and recorded tire data - they are Carlisle tires!! Not some China no-name stuff.
    These will go on the road, and my old road tires go to spares on the tongue.

The notion of 13" wheels will have to wait until some other time.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I thought highly of Carlisles until I had a sudden blow out last fall. Hopefully, your luck will be better.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

All depends on what you got, they have a plant in china also.

xxxapache likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

13" radial and rims are readily available... have you checked Amazon?

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I decided to go for the 13's because I found a good deal on them here at Princess Auto (Canadian equivalent to Harbor Freight). I moved from 145R12C up to ST175/80R/13. They were mounted on aluminum rims and sold for $109.99 each combo. The tires are Gallant which is a brand of Husky Tires that is a corp headed by a bunch of USA business men that are trying to flood the North American market with low cost good quality tires. I think this was my 4th summer with them on and all is good so far, (as in no blowouts or belt shifting). I'll keep and eye on the rubber and get a few more years out of them before looking for new rubber for these rims. I also bought just 2 of the new ones and kept the old ones for spares. I have always taken 2 spares along just in case, so now I have lots of spares to choose from when heading out. I have spares for the spares.

20180403_162816.jpg

20180405_171306.jpg

xxxapache likes this.
  7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Those are nice wheels at a good price.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Thanks. My son got the same ones this year for his boat trailer, but I think he paid $139.99 each, (Covid pricing I guess). They'll probably drop back down some next summer.

9. Anthony Hitchings

My local tire guy in Oakland, CA, does not carry Kendra or Carlisle for 12" rims - he says that he "buys what I can get". So his offerings are usually no-name brands from China.

10. Phil O'Regan

Phil O'Regan New Member

If you don't mind mail-order: I bought 12" Kenda's from etrailer last year. Kenda Karrier S-trail St145r12 Radial Tire - Lr D. I like them, but they do have a speed rating of only 65 mph.

11. Anthony Hitchings

I have done mail order tires in the past from Walmart for my Jeep Liberty. It worked fine.

If I change tire types it will be for a higher speed rating. Out in AZ and NM on the two lane (each direction) highways a 65mph trailer is a moving impediment, in single lane each way - its a moving roadblock.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just watch with the supply chin issues. They switched the brands i ordered last time, and clamed shortages. That was last year.