Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Passnthru, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Passnthru

Passnthru New Member

Hi, had my camper a short time and had a blowout. Went to Pep Boys and bought 2 new ones and put them on. Tires say max psi 50lbs. Every couple of weeks when we've gone out I check pressure and they are down to 41-42-44lbs. So I go and refill and a week later down again. I go back to Pep Boys they check them out in water tank and see no leaks. They took them off rims and resealed, will see what happens. Then they tell me should have sticker on camper that should say what pressure should be. It says 65lbs cold rim. Now I'm more confused, did I buy wrong tires? Am I ok with what I have? Any info greatly appreciated, need to be safe.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

What make and model are your camper? What size tire did you buy?

Update: Your profile says a 99 Niagara. My guess is the tire size is 185/80R13. You shouldn't be leaking air that badly.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Did you replace the spare tire too ? if not might be something you want to think about doing.

All 5 of my trailer tires loose air as they sit.. Generally no more then 1 or 2 psi per month if that.. Could be a seeling issue or a valve stem/core issue ..

Look on that same sticker for the tire size should say something like ST180/70D 13 or ST180/70R 13 .. ST= Special Trailer, D= Bias ply tire and R= Radial tire.. After that it will have the Load Range LRC or LRD might even just say Load Range" and a letter.. this is the magic number.. even if you got the correct size, you have to make sure you also get the correct load range.. Load range "C" will be about 1350 lbs at 50 psi and Load range "D" could be 1600lbs at 60 psi ..

It is possible that you got the correct sized tires, but not the correct load range, if this is the case, take the tires back and get the proper size and load range installed..

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Unless you replaced the tires with the same ones installed by the factory, you can forget the sticker. The max tire pressure indicated on the replacement tires is what you need to go by. Inflate them to 50 psi.

My tires lose a pound or two of pressure every couple of weeks too, so it doesn't seem at all unusual. It does take some time for the sidewalls to soften and the beads to seat on the rims so things should improve somewhat over time.

Also, it's a good idea to replace the valve stems when you replace the tires.

Again, check the tire pressures before every outing and carry a 12v tire inflator so you can air them up in the field as required.

5. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Did you buy LRB instead of LRC? That would explain the discrepancy in psi recommendations but not the leakage. Did they clean the wheel rim well and did they install new valve stems and was the schrader valve checked for positive closure?

6. Jughed

Jughed Member

The trailer sticker may list PSI for bias ply, sounds like you may have installed radials. Bias typically require higher PSI ratings.

Whatever the case, follow the sidewall of the tire.

My old bias ply on original wheels used to leak a few # per week. My new radials on new wheels hardly leak at all..., same for my boat trailer.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That seems a little too much air loss. We lose about 3/4 pounds a month. 215/75/14 GY Marathon.

8. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

In my experience, 50 lbs is about the limit for rubber valve stems...

9. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Also, make sure you are checking pressure or adding pressure when the tire is Cold.
    If you are checking or adding air to 50-psi when the tire is warm, then you check pressure again when the tire is cold, it will be lower.
    Always check pressure when cold.

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Could be the tire guage your using......
    Could be that the rims or valve stems were damaged since both are doing the same thing and losing the same amount. As mentioned above, my first logical guess is stems since they should have been changed with the new tires. Seems they are bleeding g down to the 44 psi then holding. Try replacing the stem cores with new Ones which would be the easiest thing to do first. All you need is an air pump, new core valves, and a simple core tool to do it. The other side of that is the stems themselves. Then you have to get back into the rim for that. Tire shop should do it for free. Go from there.

11. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

65 psi for the two 412 series with common .0453/.0625 diameter wheel holes. For the 600/602 series it is 80 psi; just saying....3/4 and 1 ton PUs have for years come with 80 psi inflation pressures for rear tires with rubber stems.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

^^^
    There are rubber snap in up to 100 PSI.

13. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

My dodge are 10 ply E rated LT's. Rated At 80 psi all day rubber stems.

Just sayin the stems are likely the culprit here.

14. tombiasi

Could be.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I agree that if there isn't anything physically damaged on the rims the issue of the leak is the valve stem or it's core..

Bigger issue is whether the OP got the right load range tires installed, by the sounds of it so far he has a lower load range tire then the originals ..

16. tombiasi

When I'm reading his post I'm wondering if he even got ST tires.

17. Jughed

Jughed Member

The 4.80x12 LRC bias plys ask for 90PSI cold.

18. lisad424

lisad424 New Member

Good info on tires! We need to buy new ones for ntu pup. Will pass this info along to Sir Hagans. Thanks as always for the helpful information!! Happy trails from Upstate SC.

19. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Yes, the 800 series with .625 core size.