Tire Replacement Time

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by David Branley, Oct 2, 2019.

1. David Branley

David Branley Member

Hi All,

Looking for a little guidance on tire replacement. I have a 2007 Fleetwood sun valley.

Trailer currently has st175 80 d13 tire rates for 1610 lbs.

GVWR for the trailer is 3500 lbs
    GAWR for the trailer is 3320 lbs

I assume the difference is to accommodate for the tire rating, ie 1610 x 2 = 3320.

Oddly enough the brochure for that year and model indicate a tire size of st185 80 d13, I cant really account for why this trailer is different to the brochure spec.

I guess the ideal Goal would be to find a new tire, ideally a tire wheel combo that can handle a load closed to GVWR / 2 or 1750 lbs is the same size but not having much luck with that.

Any advice or guidance appreciated,
    Thanks for your help,
    David

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Kenda makes a st185 80 13D tire that will do..

3. David Branley

David Branley Member

Thanks for the pointer, do you see any issue in moving up from a 175 to 185? Even though the model brochure states 185 for my trailer the sticker on the side of the trailer indicates a 175 / 80 / D13

One option I am looking at is purchasing couple of new wheels from etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/p-AM22323HWT.html

and bringing them to America Tire for install of a couple of Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST185 /80 R13 Load Range D

This would be good for 1710lbs *2 = 3420 lbs giving me some more headroom on my weight.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My guess is the prior owner just put on any tire they could find that was close not realizing it's under rated. When I purchased my camper I discovered I had a load range C tires on when I should have had the load range D exactly what your camper requires. In Talking with the tire shop apparently they keep the C range in stock but they had to special order the D range.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Check wall mart also. I had a weird size they had them through a 3rd party mounted and free shipping.

wmgeorge likes this.