Tire speed

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Kevin79, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Kevin79

Kevin79 Member

How do I tell the max speed that my tires are rated for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

If they explode, that was to fast. [:D] If they're in reasonable shape (no cracks) and air in them, I'd not worry about them to much. When we travel to my home state, we tootle right along at 80mph which is the interstate limit.. I've never bothered to look at our tires for there MAX speed.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Most trailer tires "ST" are ratted at 65 mph max. Most trailer drivers drive at 65 mph. I think there are times most drivers will exceed the ratting, but its not the norm.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It does seem that most are rated at 65 mph. I actually called Kenda to check the rating on one set on our pup.
    Truth to tell, we usually cruise at about 67 mph; we did that with our pups and now TT. Having experienced both the entire wheel flying off (the lug nuts did not get re-torqued after tire rotation, lesson learned) and a blow-out on the first pup, I'll try to skip doing either again. That one had tiny tires and we were not as careful about speed as we are now, partly because we didn't yet know about the limits.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Looking at some Palomino trailers a few weeks ago, the tires on some were L rated for speeds up to 75 mph and there were some trailers on the lot (not Palominos) that were rated M for up to 81 mph and they were ST tires.
    I read an article a few months ago that many ST tires are being manufactured to a higher rating.
    I run Yokohama AT tires on my popup and on the interstates around here, I'll cruise between 75-80 mph, if the traffic is light.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Everything you need to know should be on the sidewall of the tire.

8. tsc

tsc Member

9. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Not an issue in California as legal trailer towing speed is 55 mph. You did notice I said "legal"?

10. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

What Customer said.

And more information than you need:
    In 2006, the Michigan Legislature amended the speed limit for passenger vehicles towing trailers. The speed limit was previously 55 mph for any vehicle towing a trailer weighing 750 lbs. or more. This applied even on highways where the passenger vehicle speed limit was 70 mph.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 300 of 1949
    257.627 Speed limitations.
    Sec. 627.

(1) A person operating a vehicle on a highway shall operate that vehicle at a careful and prudent speed not greater than nor less than is reasonable and proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface, and width of the highway and of any other condition then existing. A person shall not operate a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than that which will permit a stop within the assured, clear distance ahead.

(5) A person operating a passenger vehicle drawing another vehicle or trailer shall not exceed the posted speed limit.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2f3ymg3skysoeomdkw5e5vcc))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-257-627

11. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

As others have said, your trailer tire's sidewall will give you all of the information needed to determine what speed your tires are rated for. Typically only radial tires are speed rated. We have a short article on trailer tire speed ratings on our site.

http://www.etrailer.com/expert-10.html

Attached Files: