Tire wear questions

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by pupincolorado, Sep 18, 2021.

1. pupincolorado

pupincolorado New Member

I have a small 2007 Coachman Clipper. In the last two years, I have noticed that the tires are wearing unevenly. The wear pattern is fairly dramatic in that the inside will wear down to nothing with the outside tread still well intact.

We are very careful to not overload it. We never use the water tank and only put lighter items such as clothes and sleeping bags while towing.

We do however take the trailer off-road more than it should.

My best guess is that we may have bent the axle with all the bumping and jarring of off-road travel.

In attempting to replace the axle I have had a very difficult time finding a replacement part. The axle's sticker states it is a Dexter axle (#48424) with a HF of 76.00 and SC 53.00.

The challenge is that every axle I can find online with a hub face of 76 inches has a spring center of 58 inches.

I do not have much experience with axles and would like to know any advice on replacing this axle. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Will this likely need to be a "custom" job (which naturally jumps the price over double)?

Anything else I should check that may contribute to uneven wear?

I do pack the bearings myself.

Thank you for your advice!

[​IMG]

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Could be lots of stuff, under or over inflated tires. Loose bolts on the axel, a break sticking or peices of the magnet jaming it up. Got pictures of the tires? Is it on both the tires? Or just 1?

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I would agree that you have too much negative tire camber. It's likely caused by the crown coming out of your axle or worn components.

As for the replacement, I really can't help, BUT, you can try to put a bend back in the axle bar using various non-OSHA approved methods. Some trailer shops can also do it and get the camber back where it needs to be.

Good luck.

Raycfe likes this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

my bet is that your axle was supplied with zero camber, as my old axle was.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Have you called Dexter customer support about a replacement? I've heard good reports of them being able to help.

6. pupincolorado

pupincolorado New Member

Took a while to check back in after posting. Tires are always checked before each trip, wear is equal on both tires, no brakes, we did check the U bolts and there are secure.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

my new Dexter axle was shipped with loose spring perches, so any spring centers could be accommodated.

my best guess is that you camper was fitted with a zero camber Dexter axle, as was mine.

which is why I replaced it.

Sjm9911 likes this.