Tired of Bag Awnings! Need help

LTAnderson

Oct 3, 2016
I am tired of bag awnings, and want to know if any one has had success with a retractable awning on a pop up? I have a 2008 Fleetwood Niagara, and my bag awning ripped off on 4th of July weekend. I am looking to replace it but want to install a retractable awning. I was wondering if anyone has an awning they would recommend?

Thank you!

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
You may be able to pull it off with a big boy like a Niagara. It may be a very unique retractable awning which translate into $$$$.

As far as bag awning go, like most things, they don't make them like they use too. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Damn thing only lasted 7 years. I think the UV disintegrated the threads holding the bag to the piece with the core that runs through the attachment track. Made me think that there should be someway to cover just that area from the Sun while in storage.

LTAnderson

Oct 3, 2016
You may be able to pull it off with a big boy like a Niagara. It may be a very unique retractable awning which translate into $$$$.

As far as bag awning go, like most things, they don't make them like they use too. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Damn thing only lasted 7 years. I think the UV disintegrated the threads holding the bag to the piece with the core that runs through the attachment track. Made me think that there should be someway to cover just that area from the Sun while in storage.
Honestly I am ok with investing some money into a quality awning. I plan on keeping this camper for years to come, and not having to deal with a bag awning would be worth it.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
those retractable awnings are a lot heavier than the bag awning. I looked into it when i had my HW277 and decided against it due to uncertainty in the roof support and the awning weight possibly pulling the roof and affecting the lift mechanism (i already broke a cable by raising the roof when not level) -
i remember somebody did add one to their HW, but have not heard if it worked in the long term for them.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Yes, that would be a lot of weight to put on just one side. An AC is centered so the weight is distributed better.

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma

I am contemplating using a sunshade like this secured to our PUP in two places and then using poles similar to the bag awning poles on the other two sides. For me it would be more about shade than keeping things dry. We have a couple of those shades over our deck at home and they are great. They would also be light and easy to store.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Since our awning fit into the tow vehicle, we just didn't leave it on the camper. If we knew we'd want to use it, we took it, otherwise we left it in the garage.
I've seen pics of homemade versions of this product, made from things like corrugated drain piping, the sort of flexible stuff - easier to cut a slit in that than PVC: https://www.campingworld.com/16'-pa...99bdc917d1b61ed63217abd3434fbe81&gclsrc=3p.ds

The roll-up awning on our TT is semi-useless, although it does help with sun in some campsites, as long as it's not too windy. With both popups and the TT, we've used shade/rain shelters. It's usually prettier to sit in the campsite than alongside the trailer anyway. The awning on the second popup did give enough shelter to set up the outside kitchen under it, but the one we have now doesn't, so that's out in the site too.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Look at a Fiamma awning, I think the F4S. A couple have put them on pups over the years. Expensive but well worth it according to those who did invest. It is on my list to put on mine at some point.