Tired of hybrid owner friends cutting down our PUP

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BarbaraFaith, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bjune

Bjune New Member

We have a group of camping buddies. We are the only ones with a pup. There are Motor homes, 5th wheels, bumper pulls, and even a couple of tents. (teenage boys). So we have the gamut of campers. We never have to pull up for fuel. We always have an open feeling with the flaps open to the breeze. NO satellite dish to set up (get real folks), but, we are all friends, and church family. We are just the step children. FUN too. Have fun camping and don't sweat the small stuff. One of our friends tried to talk DH into buying into one of the Thousand Trail deals. NOPE, gonna stick with State Parks, and love it. Just love camping simply.

2. kpic

kpic New Member

Why should they care if you are happy?

However, a friend of ours made the comment that at our age and station, we should buy something else. We like our PUP, it is what we wanted our only complaint is it has rained every day since we bought it, July 5th.

Why would anyone buy what they don't want to please others?

3. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Yes the shiny new RV are pretty.

Then I casually remind them ours was paid for with $2400 in cash, and is stored for free in our garage. [:D]

4. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

I'm tired from pup owners cutting down hybrid owners. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    Just saying I can back my 23 foot hybrid faster and better than my old 10 foot pup.
    For the gas mileage yes it cost me more, but I didn't start camping to save money. If I wanted to to do that I would stay at home. Just remember we all are campers and to Keep On Camping!!!

5. JamesandTina

JamesandTina Member

MINE POPS UP DOES YOURS! [SUN] [PUC] [TV]

6. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We are in a HW pup with a slideout, our friends have an 8' pup, other friends have a 30' TT with 3 slideouts, my parents TT is 30' plus with a slideout. The only questions we have among our group is what and when are we eating and /or drinking. We all have our reasons for our various purchases and they all have their pros and cons.

My parents want to downsize so they can get a smaller TV (they purchased the bigger camper 12 years so my 2 DS could camp with them). The boys camped once in their camper and used a tent every other time. MY DS are now 15 and 18 and still prefer to tent camp (I think raising them in Boy Scouts has skewed their version of camping). Our younger DS will camp in a hammock as well.

We had a friend at one of our camping planning meetings (ie going out to eat and discussing where we are camping next) and she asked if she would be allowed to camp with us. We all gave her a puzzled look and asked "allowed?". She said that since she only had a tent, she would feel out of place. We all just laughed and said that sleeping accommodations didn't matter. It is more about what food you are bringing (she makes some killer dutch oven recipes) and make sure you pack a chair to sit around the campfire. She has since joined on several trips and realizes that no one is out to impress anyone else.

I realize I got a little long winded here but I just don't get the posturing to impress someone in the camping group. Everyone is there to have fun, relax, eat too much and enjoy the campfire. We have all agreed that if one of us wins the lottery that they will buy a couple of big motor homes for certain road trips but that none of us would quit camping. Several of us have stayed in condos and cabins together and we all prefer to be camping.

7. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

very well said!

Seriously,,,it's about having fun, spending time together, enjoying yourselves, seeing the nature/sightseeing in the area,,,,,,it's not about what you sleep in.

8. kpic

kpic New Member

We prefer a PUP, it is our choice because we like it. It has nothing to do with what we can afford and everything to do with what we enjoy.

I saw this a long time ago, it is by a psychotherapist named Perls and it applies quite well.

I do my thing and you do your thing.
    I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
    And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
    You are you, and I am I,
    and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
    If not, it can't be helped.

9. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I'd ignore everyone.. Remember people can only make you feel inferior if you let them.

Then find new friends

10. HallmarkBlue

HallmarkBlue New Member

My husband and I are silly and though we may upgrade someday we are in our very first every and quite old pup and already have a "Pup Song" kind of like we do our (paid for) house song . . . "I love my pup . . . it's just so cozy . . . etc, etc, etc, ". We will, I'm sure, have a song for whatever we have though would never disparage those who choose differently!

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Mine pop's out ... [LOL] [LOL]

12. raspivey

raspivey New Member

I have the same problem here in S. Texas with the "real truck" crowd. I have just enough tow vehicle. I don't want another car payment for a few years. I don't need a Ford/Chevy/Dodge Superheavydutyextendedquadturbosuperdiesel 4x4 to pull a 21' trailer. Get over it. What I have will work fine for a year or two....

I love our popup, I'm going to love the new TT when it gets here in a week or two. Nothing wrong with either one and every type of RV has it's pros / cons. There's plenty of sites at this campground...you don't like what we pull or pull with, find another campsite.

13. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

So this past weekend, DH & I went to a fishing resort, and got one of 3 spots on "the point" (Lakeside) where only a PUP or tent would fit. It was an awesome spot, with a gorgeous views of the sunsets. Had a good trip - partially because it was just DH & me. Saturday a.m., I woke sometime before 7 a.m. - we had the windows unzipped, and the light was shining in. Saw a beautiful sunrise from the front end, and heard water lapping up against the shore from the back end. The birds were chirping, and a woodpecker was doing his thing. The loons were calling from the lake. What a beautiful morning, one that I doubt I would have fully experienced in something other than a PUP.

14. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Mines always up and rigid! [LOL]

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Reading this made me think back to our old P'up... Loved this spot on Lake Murray SC sunrise right in your face.
    I think we can fit the gray beast...but will have to leave the front bunk closed and sleep in the smaller back bunk.
    [​IMG]

16. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Next time just ask them how much interest are they paying for their new toys.