Tires? What do you all use

Roofpro49

Jan 31, 2015
Had a blowout on the way back from Ocala, Marathons on a hot day, 75 mph and about (guessing from the other tire) 8-10 lbs low. My fault for not checking before leaving the cg. Replacing both with Kenda D radials. Bought a really good tire gauge, too!

cullinan18

Aug 14, 2012
When I bought my N2U pup, they already had on Load C and I always thought they looked flat. When I investigated, I learned the pup NEEDED Load D, so I ordered Load Star D tires and rims. I still have the Load C tires and rims housing mice and spiders in the shed, if anybody wants them. [;)]

Roofpro49

Jan 31, 2015
I had a blowout on the way back from the Florida fall rally a couple of weeks ago. Running Goodyear Marathons at 75 mph on a hot day. My son manages a tire store, and he said the Marathons aren't what they used to be, so I ordered two Load Star D range tires with wheels. $105.00 apiece. He says they dissipate the heat much better, and the C's were at their limit with the weight of the Starcraft 2409 loaded. I feel a lot more comfortable with the higher tire rating.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
cullinan18 said:
I still have the Load C tires and rims housing mice and spiders in the shed, if anybody wants them. [;)]

You could use them as winter storage tires.. I did that with the old tires from the pup..

cullinan18

Aug 14, 2012
Snow, that's not a bad idea (especially since the pup sat all year as we dabbled in the dark side this year!), but I still assumed the 5 year age restriction on the tires would still be an issue.

Does anybody remove their tires for winter/storage and they run them for additional years?

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
More or less the 5 year rule still applies.. You might get an additional year or two out of them since they aren't sitting outside buried in snow during the winter..

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
It's not the snow, rain, or being outside that ages the tires. It's the light. A set of covers are a good investment.

turborich

Super Active Member
Jun 22, 2010
Las Vegas, NV.
Roofpro49 said:
I had a blowout on the way back from the Florida fall rally a couple of weeks ago. Running Goodyear Marathons at 75 mph on a hot day. My son manages a tire store, and he said the Marathons aren't what they used to be, so I ordered two Load Star D range tires with wheels. $105.00 apiece. He says they dissipate the heat much better, and the C's were at their limit with the weight of the Starcraft 2409 loaded. I feel a lot more comfortable with the higher tire rating.

You were driving 75 mph. That's one big issue right there. Keep it at 65 mph or less.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I replaced all three tires with Load Star radials 175/80 D13 two years ago and so far I have had no problems. Even had them balanced. I have a habit of using my hand as the temp gauge when I touch the tires and hubs. But just touching the tires I can tell the radials run cooler then the bias ply ones.

I always travel with a digital tire gauge and always make sure the tires are at the max pressure as stated on the tire sidewall. In my case it's 50 PSI.

Abrams1997

Jun 24, 2013
I have Load Star Radials on my Palamino as well. I am sure they are all different because my max Cold Pressure is 65psi. I ordered mine from E-Trailer mounted and balanced on new rims (which I wanted) with new hub covers. It was like $165 for the two delivered to the house ready to mount. I have put about 3000 miles on them and they have no signs of wear other than the rubber nobbs are worn off. No bounce, no sway...very happy with them...especially for the money.

M-88

Jun 29, 2015
Made in the same factory as the name brand ones.

And certainly better than the 1997 tires I pulled off!

sleach

A short run will get you within walking distance.
May 17, 2014
Boulder, Colorado
The 2012 Chalet Arrowhead [ALPU] with "Trail Boss" package came with 27x8.50R14LT tires of a rather coarse high traction tread pattern. Load rating is only 1520 lbs each, only a bit more than the GVWR of 3000 lbs, and not that much more than the Cat Scale weight of 2640 lbs when fully loaded for a week long trip to the Gunnison Country.

That translates to a radial light truck tire equivalent to a 215 mm width. In late 2016 or early 2017 they will be replaced with a pair of ST215/75R14 load range C at 1820 lbs each. Until then I'll check tire pressure every day of every trip, and keep speeds to 65 mph or less. Will probably go with a less knobby tread design.

My favorite tire place- over 40 years now- swears by Carlisle trailer tires.