Tires....

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by JHOP, Nov 16, 2017.

1. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

We have a 2006 Starcraft RT10 and we believe the tires are original to the camper. That means they are 11 years old. The tread looks great. I'm guessing we have to worry about dry rot? That would be our only concern. We have a 1500 mile trip next summer. Should we replace the tires before then? It's a lot of highway driving.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

kitphantom likes this.
  4. f5moab

I'm not one who says change the trailer tires every three years, going with very careful inspections and if all looks good, seven years should be ok. However, possibly 11 years is most likely asking for trouble. Also, don't forget the spare.

Garrity, Fless and kitphantom like this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

How and where you use your tires should be considered. If I only went 20 miles from home with my camper I would run my tires longer.

I ran my utility trailer tires a whopping 18 years. I swapped them last year. I rarely left the county with it, though.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Before I go on any big trip (1000+ miles) I always put on new tires. It's cheap insurance against a blow out. Otherwise I replace my tires about every two to three years.

7. xxxapache

I have had a blowout on a tire that was less than a year old.

Speaking of blowouts....Had one just yesterday. I was pulling a friends trailer for him. I hit a pothole and boom!....

8. f5moab

I had a new set of Bridgestone AT tires on a Truck and a tire blew in the desert, just under Deadhorse Point State park. So new does not always mean....problem free.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

a big gamble! Avoid potholes on way to tire shop, will you!

10. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Tire manufactures generally recommend about every6 or 7 yrs. I seen tires older with no problems. Me I would change them out. Are yours weather checking ( tiny cracks developing around rim in the sidewall) this develops if unit is left outside exposed to elements and sunlight and improper inflation. Direct sunlight is the major killer. A good dose of armor all or some such UV protectant coupla times a year can slow the process down some.
    As the tire compound dries out it loses it's ability to flex, hence you hit a pot hole @ high speed, blow out time.While your changing out your tires. Might not be a bad idea to repack the bearings too. Oh , and some places don't usually balance trailer tires. make sure you tell them to. helps if have a slight tweek in a rim as to tread longevity.

o

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Fbird likes this.
  11. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

6 to 7 years of use is considered the maximum safe age for trailer tires. By reading the date code, the tires might be older than that, having sat on a warehouse shelf for awhile but I personally wouldn't start the clock until they've been mounted on the trailer. When the tires are stored in a controlled environment and aren't being exposed to UV radiation they don't age as quickly.

For more informationa about trailer tires, use this link:
    https://www.etrailer.com/expert-174.html

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have heard 6-7 years, 5 years, 3 years, etc... I use 5 years and buy the best tires I can buy. It simple for my simple mine. I take the cost of the tire divide by 5 years and get the cost per year. when I compare the cost per year for greater years, cheaper tires, etc... It just does not seem to be worth increasing the risk of being by the road side.

FYI, US DOT consider 10 year old tires to be unsafe and have passed laws that most tire shops will not even mount 10 year old tire. It does not matter if its been in a warehouse, or if it looks new and never mounted and you carry it in. tires age in the best environment. I tell my tire shop if the new tire is over 6 months not to mount them.

shuang2 likes this.
  13. xxxapache

Do you have a link to those laws?

14. tenttrailer

No I don't have a link to those laws just stay in tune with the auto industry. Ask any tire shop to mount a tire 10 plus old. You might get joe's garage to do it, but not large shop. The laws was enacted right after the ford suv were having the roll over death issues. There was some old tires on some of the suv's with roll over deaths. The law does not make is against to law to mount tire over 10 years old, but it makes any service shop libel if that tire fails after mounting a 10 year old tire. Another thing that came out from the ford rollover issue, was low tire pressure contributed to many of the roll over deaths. As a result a few years later mandatory Tire Pressure Monitor System were required on all new vehicles.

15. f5moab

16. tenttrailer

oops NHTSA