Title transfer issues

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Beulah54321, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Beulah54321

Beulah54321 New Member

About to purchase a used pop-up. I will be the fourth owner. First owner, lived in WI, we are in TX. He signed title, but owner 3 and 4 never signed the title. And the camper does not currently have a license plate and hasn't been registered in many years. I called DMV and they said the original owner would need to sign title over to us. Does anyone know what I do since obviously I'm not going to try and contact the original owner in another state for a camper that is 14 yrs old?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

IMHO, I would stay away from a pup with title issues. If the issues can be resolved, it may take a while to resolve them. That does not mean it can not be done.

I purchase my pup in Wisconsin and Minnesota would not have given me a title without a bill of sale and a signed title from the previous owner.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Look up the laws in your state, there all diffrent. Dont buy it with out a clear title. If its too late you may need to do what they do to claimed abandon vehicals. I almost had to do this in NJ with a clear title. This is involved and costly. It could take 6 months and cost hundrends of dollers. Not worth it.
    I would need a title search ( costs money)
    Lean search
    Then have to take out adds in the newspapers to say i was going to clame the property.
    Contact the police stations in my town and the previous owners town.
    Write letter ( certified, noterized) i plan to take possetion of property
    Have 3 people fill out statments ( noterized and witnessed) that said property was abondoned for over 3 months on my property.
    This is just what i remember.

4. Beulah54321

Beulah54321 New Member

Wow! That's a lot. It is a 1995 pop-up, and it's beginning to sound like too much work. Haven't purchased it yet.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If the original owner signed the title as seller and did not fill out the "sold to" information you may be all right. Call the county clerks office and ask. There are procedures and forms registering trailers from out of state where they don't do title or registration on small trailers.

Personally, I would pass and keep looking, but if you're set on this trailer deal with the county clerk, not the dmv.

6. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Beulah54321 likes this.
  7. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Sorry I miss read your post. I thought the trailer was currently in WI.

Beulah54321 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Beulah54321 likes this.
  9. Beulah54321

Beulah54321 New Member

Okay I haven't given up yet. Current owner went today to get title transferred. He was told had to get camper weighed and appraised. I found how to get it weighed. But striking out on getting it appraised. Any suggestions?

10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I would think any RV dealer could give you an appraisal DMV would accept, just have them put on their (RV dealers) letterhead, & have them sign it. YMMV

11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

12. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

Hi, I live in Texas. I did this and I don't recommend it. I bought my camper from a guy who bought it from his brother in law, but never signed over the title. I had to track down the brother in law, have him sign the paperwork and then register it in my name. Because I was the second person on the title it was like the guy I bought it from never owned it. So I had to pay back taxes and fines on the title transfer. It ended up costing me an extra $500 and about 4 trips to Hondo to get it sorted out. IF the camper is a good deal knowing that you will have to come up with another $500-$600 and weeks of headache, then go for it. Otherwise pass on this one. There are plenty of others.

Beulah54321 and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Beulah54321

Beulah54321 New Member

Tha

14. Beulah54321

Beulah54321 New Member

I found out, in TX at least if a camper is 25 yes old or older no appraisal needed. Camper is valued at what you pay for it, from the seller.

15. Beulah54321

Beulah54321 New Member

We ended up not getting the camper with the lovely title issue. Just bought a 2004 Rockwood Freedom. Needs some work, so let the fun begin.

Rusty2192, Sjm9911 and kennedyma like this.