TN - Pickett State Park

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by CharlieTN-OtherHalf, Mar 8, 2015.

1. CharlieTN-OtherHalf

CharlieTN-OtherHalf New Member

We just reserved a site site A8 for a week at the end of May. This will be only our second trip out in our NTU pup purchased last year. This will be the longest camping trip for the family and we are looking forward to it immensely. The area around Pickett looks simply amazing and we are eager to check out the National Park nearby at the same time. If you have been to Pickett previously and have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    We are going July 4th wkd. I have not been yet. The Big South Fork National Rec area looks like my kind of fun, rugged and remote. I purchased a book on the locations of all the natural arches in the area, and am looking forward to some hiking. We are about 2hrs east. Let me know how it goes. We will also try Frozen Head SP this Memorial Day, for the first time.

3. Boroviewfarm

Boroviewfarm Farmer marries veterinarian; now raises kids.

We last stayed at Pickett state park in October 2013. We had a great time. This is one of Tennessee's oldest parks. Make sure that you take a day trip over to Alvin C York State Park and go take in all the area and scenery around there. While at Pickett state park we highly encourage you to go to the Kentucky View Overlook Trail. The ranger station can provide you a map. Also make sure that you check out the CCC museum which is located very close to the ranger station- they will have to give you the key. when we stayed, the park provided free firewood which was a big bonus as we love campfires. My two kids' favorite part of the park was Hazard Cave and the swinging Bridge. Make sure that you make time to do both of those.

4. CharlieTN-OtherHalf

CharlieTN-OtherHalf New Member

Thanks so much! We can't wait to explore the surrounding area. We'll be sure to check out the trails you mentioned.

Hubs - CharlieTN, Me, and the little beauties, 10 & 7, piled into a 2001 Nissan Xterra, pulling a 1995 Coleman Stony Creek.

5. CharlieTN

CharlieTN New Member

Well, the trip has come and gone and it was awesome. We love the park. Even with every campsite full over Memorial day weekend the campground was peaceful. We will certainly go back again sometime soon.

We saw a black bear, doe with spotted fawn, red-headed woodpeckers (nested in our campsite), Northern Water Snake, turkey vultures, salamanders, beavers, Geese, and of course the Glow Worms (a must see).

6. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

Sounds like a good trip

7. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

Next time, if you think about it, take some pictures and do a small writeup about it for us! We can always use more reviews of places to camp :) Glad you had a great time and saw so much wildlife!