TN to SD and back

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Spawndn72, May 4, 2017.

1. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

In June we are headed to Game lodge campground in Custer state park, SD from Nashville, TN.
    1st day we are stopping at Hanson Hill's campground in Kingdom City MO
    2nd day we are stopping at Tower campground in Sioux Falls SD
    3rd day we drive across SD to Game lodge campground

5 days later we do the trip in reverse.

Any tips?

bob barnes likes this.
  2. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

sounds fun I know exactly where the hanson hills campground is by the way.

3. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We camped at Sylvan Lake State Park Camp Ground last year and hiked Harney Peak (a historic fire lookout). Sylvan Lake is half way between Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments. Well worth the side trip if time permits.

4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I would second the Harney peak hike, wildlife route drive, there is another good hike from the coolidge walk in fishing area up to center lake. Rushmore for sure, then there is wind and Jewel caves. Day trip out to Devil's tower. If you are coming from Souix falls the day before, I would recommend you drive through the badlands on your way to Custer to get a feel for it. You can tour the minuteman site on the way in there. I would skip Wall Drug. We love Custer, get there almost every year. Will be there for only two days the first week of August at the end of a three week trip.

5. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

It was an awesome trip. We took 3 days to get there and 2 days to get back. Kids were great the entire trip. The weather was perfect. The only thing that went wrong was a leaky propane regulator. Luckily there was a camping world in Rapid City so we were able to get a replacement. This was our first time "out West". I have never been to a more beautiful place. Major stops for us were Needles Hwy, Iron Mountain Road, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wildlife loop, Devils Tower, Badlands National park, The Journey Museum in Rapid City, Deadwood and the Mount Coolidge fire tower. The only letdown in that list was Deadwood. I was not impressed at all.

I would highly recommend this trip and we can't wait to go back.

SiAm Traveler and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Can't wait, we will be in Stockade South in Custer in just over a month. Harney is a hike we always do. It is a great area to spend a week in.

7. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I am saddened to hear from you and others what has happened to Deadwood. In the early 70's the Black Hills Gold mine was going strong. The wild west feel was in the town. Locals held the daily drama of the shooting of Wild Bill with the capture and trial of Jack McCall. It was great. The original boot hill cemetery was still in place. There was even a tour of the underground "opium dens" and tunnels. For me, it was a frequent stop. I understand that today, "progress" has had its impact.

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes. We lived in Sioux Falls and the tower campground must have been built after we left town. My folks reside in Chamberlain which is on the river a few hours west of SF. Actually we were just there visiting and if you venture to our dogs blog, you'll see photos of that trip. Hope you have fun!

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

We had a similar experience when we went out from Toledo, OH. We also are very much looking forward to going back and continuing on further. We also thought Deadwood was a huge letdown, I think we might have stayed in town for about an hour if that, then called it a bust and just went out wandering for the rest of the day. If anyone wants a fun read check out http://www.popupportal.com/threads/rockyroos-great-western-adventure.82855/ it was an awesome trip, we had a blast.