to Automatic Changeover or not?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Vance, May 30, 2019.

1. Vance

Vance New Member

Any thoughts on converting a dual manual set up into an auto change over system? pro/cons?
    It would be great to auto change while in the shower or the middle of a below 30* night. How ever if you had a leak then both tanks might be empty when you need it.

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You can do it, but I'm not sure it's that much of an advantage. You still have to check your tanks from time to time. We have one on our TT. Last year in Colorado we ran out of gas (heat) in the middle of the night.

Fortunately, I was able to get it refilled nearby. But now I leave one tank turned off. When the gas runs out, I flip the switch and take the empty tank to be refilled. This kind of defeats the purpose but it beats having to run out for more propane when you're in the middle of something and need it right away.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We like having an auto changeover, but we have developed routines so we don't worry about running both tanks dry. [It did happen on my first trip this year, but I had a slow leak in one pigtail, which is out of the ordinary. It ran dry on the last morning of a 10-night trip. Had one tank filled, but that pigtail turned out to be blocked.]
    We first had two tanks on our 2nd popup, and didn't want to chance having to crouch under the bunk end to mess with changing them over. The pup only had a stove and furnace, so we seldom used one full tank on a trip, but it was nice to know we had the second one there. With out small TT, we now have a hot water tank and refrigerator too. Definitely don't want to worry about having the LP run out while dry camping, since the fridge runs off of it.
    Once the tanks switch, we refill the first one ASAP. Often, we top off the tanks so they're both full at the beginning of a trip. (The KOA 3 miles from our house is handy, a good price, and charges by the amount of LP sold.)

4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Years ago,when we were deer hunting as a kid,before the changeover valves were available,we ran out in middle of the night. Of course,temps in the teens,and snowing. Ever since then,I’ll always have one. Yes,you still have to check your tanks occasionally,but makes things much easier.

kitphantom likes this.
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The obvious con is not paying much attention to the tanks and running them both dry. [:(!] I've had dual tank setups on several trailers and have always run the auto changeover regulator manually as I'd far rather know when one tank is empty and it's time to switch to the other.

kcsa75 likes this.