To camp or to party ? Which one did you come for

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by TERBObob, Oct 15, 2014.

Ok , I am honestly curious if things changed that much ... when you go "camping" , are you going so

1. I want to party and I am under 45 yrs old

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. I want to party and I am over 45 yrs old

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. I want the peace and quiet and relaxing time that only mother nature can provide ( no partying ) and

53 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. I want the peace and quiet and relaxing time that only mother nature can provide ( no partying ) and

38 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. I really don't care ... just as long as I get away

47 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Morrison

Morrison New Member

I think it is what it is.. You go camping to unwind; no matter how you do that, is up to you.

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I prefer to camp when no one else is, I like it quiet. I have a few beers once the DS goes to bed. Other than rallys, I have only camped with friends a couple times, everyone always wants to go but everyone is always busy when we go. Obviously we have not let that stop us, over 50 nights out in under a year!!

3. martykowalski

martykowalski Member

We will have a few drinks around the campfire at night, but none in my group ever gets drunk, loud, or obnoxious. We all agree that there's something to be said for waking up in the morning bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and ready for a day of fun wherever we're camping. We keep the noise down at all hours, but especially at night, I'll walk around the perimeter of the site to make sure our radio, conversations, etc. can't be heard past the site. If only everyone followed that principle...

4. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

We just like to get away from the regular day-to-day routine, that is what has drawn us to the camping getaways so far.

Have not encountered any wild partying neighbors, even a group that we feared might get loud just based on the size of their group and all the visitors, was well-behaved enough that we never really heard much from them while they were out at night.

There's a time and place for whatever, IMO. I've got a pretty loud sound system in the pup too, for when some music and a few cold ones by the fire is appropriate. We don't party like kids, because we're not, but we'll sometimes stay up later than neighbors, and we try and stay aware of our noise level.

I'd say that we're somewhere in the middle ground.

5. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I like it "ALL" naturally depending on the situation and campground

6. froggie

froggie New Member

NJDrummer, I had the same problem last time we were out. Two consecutive sets of "group" tenters kept us up entire weekend. Sunday night I finally called the ranger. Neither group was drinking, instead they played their religious music too loud. I bring a few beers and sit around the fire and enjoy, but I don't annoy others.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The DW and I are in our 40's. When we want to party and camp we do it in the boondocks. When we are just trying to get away for the weekend it is a camp ground.

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Man, LOVE a head banging, blaring music party! But then, that's what college is for. :)

The campground is for serene nature and calm, quiet campfires. If I can hear your music at my campsite, I think it's too loud. We don't use a radio in our campsite for that very reason. She and I both partake in moderation and to my knowledge, no one has ever had occasion to know, let alone complain to us. I like a beer around the campfire and we might enjoy wine with or soon after supper. After that, it's peace and quite. Maybe a shot of Amaretto with the marshmallows. [;)]

The campground is for serenity, not party. [CP]

9. ironeagle81

ironeagle81 Member

As far as I'm concerned, people are welcome to camp and/or party AS LONG AS they are respectful of those around them! When it becomes obnoxious and they are dampening other peoples fun, then it's time to take it elsewhere. It really all comes down to respecting others and the campground rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving in the wrong lane!

10. MamaK

MamaK Member

I have no real problem with people enjoying themselves while camping.On one trip last year there were several large family groups with adjoining sites who played music, did some dancing, played games and enjoyed communal feasts, but the noise and activity were done well before dark and it almost felt like a street festival. I do have a problem (and not just while camping) with folks who think I want to hear their conversations complete with foul language or listen to their music and not be able to hear myself think. There are situations in a campground that arise and can lead to an increase in noise but most campers try to deal with those in a timely fashion so as not to disturb the neighbors. I was guilty last trip when I accidentally hit the panic button on the TV's remote door lock while removing the keys from my pocket. I just couldn't get the darn things out of my pocket fast enough. Fortunately our nearest camping neighbors were on the other side of the camp loop with lots of trees, etc. in between.

11. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

In my youth we were asked to leave a State Park for not adhering to the quiet time rules. People at the campground politely asked us to hold it down but when you are 18 years old you tend to have a real thick skull so they called the State Police who came in and asked us to leave or else. We left and pitched our tent elsewhere. Foolish on our part looking back on it. I apologize it you r reading this and know who we were.

12. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I enjoy hiking, swimming, and relaxing with my family. I also enjoy several good beverages before dinner. I never get loud and stupid. My wife would kick my butt before the police could.

13. tinybluetj

tinybluetj New Member

I think it depends on your defimition of "Party"....At my age a party is me by the campfire after the kids are in bed sipping a beer.....

Holy Smokes! I just realized.....I'M OLD!!!! [;)]

14. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

That's what I do and I'm only 31...

15. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I looked high and low (not much, but did search) for the definition of camping and nowhere in the definition of camping it was stated the activities that are proper of camping.
    People, stop trying to force other people into accepting to your definition of camping. There are many valid reason to go camping and they are up to the individual. As long as their activities are withing the rules and law then they are in their right to enjoy camping the way they see it fit.
    Visit those parks that fit your style, avoid those that dont.
    I love to boat, but I hate crowds and drunks. That is why you dont see me in the lake right 5 minutes from my place in a holiday and rather got to a private lake with my friends, a lake that drinking is not allowed. That is why I also avoid certain family reunions because at the end of the day all I am going to see if belligerent drunks that cant behave.
    Don't like drunks, go to a park that alcohol is forbidden, call the law when the drunks are at it.
    Don't like Fido? Don't go to a park that is pet friendly.
    Want to let Fido run wild, go to a pet friendly park that has a leash free section.
    Don't like screaming kids, there are parks for empty nesters.

If you dont like partying, loud music and drunks does it makes sense to go to panama city beach fl during spring break?!?!?!

16. Tsuruyo

Tsuruyo Be here now - do the next right thing

Camping should be fun, but not a drunken party scene.
    Of course that is just my take on it.

My last few campouts were loud, music was as if you were standing right next to the musicians! and drinking! oh my goodness, there were drinks to be had if one wanted them.

Ok, it's like this,
    I'm a Bluegrasser, I play stand up bass and the last few campouts (as in 90% of my camping) are bluegrass campouts and festivals.
    there really isn't that much drinking but I can hook you up with a couple of moonshiners and still boys I know (who play Martin Guitars and Gibson pre-war Banjos).

There is music way into the night and sometimes into the early morning, I have played bass until my fingers were so sore I couldn't see straight. (yeah, this happens with bass players, it's a hazard of the trade) we were at public camping areas and RV parks, for planned events and everyone knew what they were getting into when they arrived. Never (but once) was there any complaints about it.
    (Kamiah, Idaho the second weekend in May Y'all outta show up it's a hoot!)

when local camping with other bluegrass folk we find quiet out of the way places to camp so as not to disturb anyone else...banjos have that effect on the unsuspecting.

If I am solo camping, I leave the bass at home and pack my mandolin or fiddle instead, observe the posted quiet times and park out so I don't offend anyone.
    If I were an inconsiderate boob I'd pack the bass, set up camp right next to the outhouse and play Mama Don't 'Low all night long or maybe Rocky Top, or something in B flat, that old bass just GROWLS in B Flat [LOL]

So having said that, if you want to be up all night long partying, making noise, makes no matter to me, I can (and will) sleep through it. (like I said, Bluegrass Festival folks jam all night long, you learn to sleep through it).
    and in the morning, I will make the loudest breakfast you've ever witnessed. [}:)] just before I break camp with a tire iron in hand, making certain my stabilizers are in the full upright and locked position, and that my propane tank has maintained its structural integrity, and that the frame of the trailer wasn't attacked by the dreaded rust termites in the night, double checking that my hitch ball has not gone all squishy, and that the coupler is still capable of coupling...and so forth. (and may God have mercy upon you if I packed the Bass) [LOL]

Laughingly, [LOL]
    Timothy

17. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Interesting perspective! Unfortunately, not everyone has access to private lakes, no alcohol campgrounds, etc. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect common courtesy. I shouldn't have to go to a campground that doesn't allow me to have a beer just to avoid loud, drunk parties.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Shoot, y'all who like a beverage by the fire are the type we are. I don't drink due to meds, but DH is good for a few beers, then bedtime!!

I'm sitting here laughing because all the places around ME don't even allow drinking! Everyone DOES it, but only the stupid ones get so loud as to disturb everyone within a 1/4 mile. THEN, I am on the phone to a ranger asap. I just ain't gonna listen to it!!

I've figured out how to deal with the screaming little kids by carrying literally hundreds of glow sticks. Man, you give a few little girls about 3 packs of those and you get yourself a few hours while they're entranced!! It works for boys too.

The 'kids' who bother me are the 14 & up (on average) kids who think they know everything and are a little bolder, sometimes down right rude. Only had one incident where the kid cussed me & I watched him go back to his camper. For some reason, I just knew I'd be meeting mom or dad soon. Half hour later or so, the dad shows up with the kid. I'm ready to go either way depending on their actions/words. Father put his hands on his hips and stared THRU that kid. Kid finally says he was sorry for mouthing off to me. I asked his dad what story he told and it was WAY off. The father was livid when he heard the words he used on me (I didn't care, but felt his dad would!!), AND having now been made a liar of by his son trying to save his OWN arse!! [LOL] [LOL] He not only apologized to me as if the kid murdered my dog, he actually offered to pay for a night of my camping. [:(O]

I told him to donate the money to his local animal charity or keep it, was his decision. I DID express hope that he keep up the good work with his son cause he ain't seen NUTHIN yet until the gets gets bigger than you and might even challenge you. There was mention of a cheap arse wooden casket in the back yard. Make it a seat by the fire. I really had to use my inhaler because I could NOT stop laughing and just could not breathe! [LOL] [LOL]

The parents turned out to be pretty nice and the kid became pretty polite when I went on my walks. WIN-WIN [8D] [8D]

[:D]

19. PoppedPaul

PoppedPaul What's this button do?

Amen.

I've been camping in the solitude of nature for the last 42 years ... and I'm 54 years old now. Even when I was a youngster I liked the peace and quiet. I did go to a few "parties in the woods" but wouldn't dream of being stupid or loud in a campground with others around. That's just foolish. We currently boondock finding ourselves alone in a valley a dozen miles long and eight miles across. At night if we see another camper or even a passing truck we're disappointed (OK not really!). The dear wife and our dog get out there to get away from everything but each other - no TV, no cellphone, no DVD, no music, no news (sometimes I sneak a listen in the morning to check on the weather).

[ALPU] [TV]

20. RABID59

RABID59 Member

Okay when the DW and I go we like to listen to music but once the sun goes down so do the jams. We still love the hikes and bikes but you do need to replace the carbs so we will sit around the fire and have a few. The main thing here is to respect the quiet time and live and let live.