to cold

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by ranger guy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ranger guy

ranger guy New Member

out for the first time this weekend in our 2007 jayco 1207 there are no power hook ups at the camp ground so i put the frige on propane on hi after first day things started to freez so we put it on low and the next moring the eggs were frozen so i tuned the frige off and it took a day and a half to warm up it is a nordic frige is there somthing wrong or should i be turning the frige off at night it was so cold that it would slush up my beer in cans , but that may be ok when it`s 25 30 degrees out just wondering if this is normal for this to happen thanks

2. Frodo

Frodo New Member

The propane cools according to outside temp (no temp control). Be happy you can get that low and just get a thermometer that you can read from the outside. I have a fridge thermometer that alarms at high and low settings.

3. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

Also you might want to look into the small fridge fan. Camping World sells them. It helps circulate air in the fridge to balance out the temperature. Works great for us. Also I purchased a remote control temp guage. The type were you put a remote unit outside to tell you the outside temp. Instead I put the remote unit in the fridge and while traveling keep the receiving unit in the TV. Know how the fridge is doing at all times. [:)C]

4. seano3ca

seano3ca No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

We had the same issue with our new 1007's fridge. We'll try setting it most of the way to the warm side right after lighting next time and see. Fortunately (?) all that got frozen for us was juice and beer. All the other (smellier) stuff goes in the cooler in the TV, to keep bears at least a few steps further away from the camper. Of course, the smorgasboard the neighbours left out on our last trip would have made our campsite look pretty unappealing to any nighttime marauders.

My F-I-L is the incessant tinkerer who insulated his PUP fridge to the point that it accidentally became a freezer, even at lowest setting. He decided to use it solely for making/maintaining ice blocks for the cooler. He was a dry-camper only and avoided some trips back into town by doing so. I think that's what one calls making lemonade out of lemons.

SeanO

5. Pictgroover

Pictgroover New Member

I too have the 1207 .. and yes .. while running on propane it can freeze stuff on the highest setting .. but I LOVE this since my last trip was 10 days without power so this works to my advantage. I use the fridge as a "freezer" to store all the meat. I generally pre-freeze everything and put it in the fridge already frozen... I've had meat stay frozen for all 10 days.

I use the cooler to "thaw" stuff for the next day. I've even put in small containers of water to make ICE for use during some day trips! I find mine generally doesn't freeze anything on the lowest setting.