To cover or not to cover? Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by HamJam, Jan 9, 2022.

1. HamJam

HamJam New Member

Hi all,

I’ve searched the forum on this topic and wanted to bring it up again to see if anyone had any new advice/experience to share.

My husband and I purchased a 1995 Coleman Fleetwood Royale in great condition. I fulfilled a major dream of mine in re-doing the interior (seriously, highlight of my year). We live in Indianapolis and I’m concerned about storage (year-round but especially in winter) as our only option at the moment is to keep it outside. No carport Any cover recommendations? I assumed I’d want a cover specifically for a pop-up but I’ve seen different opinions on the topic. Would be interested to hear about others’ experiences.

TIA,
    Rachael
    Indianapolis

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I personally use a tarp especially in the winter, but you do need to make sure you have an air gap between the roof and tarp to allow airflow. During the summer I don't use a cover. I'm camping more often and so it's just not worth it. I chose not to use a special cover as honestly all the ones I've seen disintegrate in a couple seasons. I just couldn't justify the cost if it only lasts a couple seasons.

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

A simple trap with a few 2x4s to keep the material off the surface. No need to overthink it.

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I used to store my camper in underground. Storage but that started to get expensive , so I opted for a cover. For the off season , November to march/April. I spurted alittle and went with the best cover I could find, National brand. Goldline. Series, it was pricey. But held up well for the last 2 years, besides a zipper breaking on one the side panels, (my own fault). Easy fix at a local canvas company . I have been very pleased with the cover so far ! 42E215EE-60AE-4D0B-BAD5-B211F01469F4.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I know some make homemade versions of covers such as lean to shelters over there campers, mine is too high. I would need a 12 foot garage

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

*vagov what do you have behind that camper warning of the edge? Or is just the camera angle to make it look you got a cliff behind you.

7. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Exposed to the elements, the trailer will suffer degradation from UV light, dust/dirt, acid rain, rainwater, snow, ice, bird poop, and so on.
    Covered, these elements will be significantly reduced.

It's hard to argue that covering is a bad idea. And it's easy to make the case that a covered RV will retain its fresh look and avoid water damage to the roof longer than an uncovered one. So I don't understand why one wouldn't put a cover, aside from the false economy of saving $100 by not buying one, or the fact that it's inconvenient covering the popup between uses.

Last summer I was lazy and didn't cover the RV between trips. I am sure its finish is a little more faded than it would have been had I kept it covered throughout the summer. But the really critical time is when the weather turns bad. Over the fall and winter I keep it covered all the time.

Several tips:

• Get a real RV cover. Plastic tarps don't breathe, and that's bad for the PUP.
    • Tie it down so it doesn't blow off and tear.
    • Put a framework of 1x2 (actually about 3/8ths by 5/4ths) wood strips on top of the trailer before putting on the cover. Drill or cut notches in the framework so the individual cells can breathe. This will suspend the cover an inch over the roof. A little air flow is good. On my pup I have a bike rack in front, air conditioner mid-ship, and solar and fantastic fan in back, so my 1x2 frame is pretty minimal, but I still feel it's a good idea to keep some air circulation.
    • Put the cover on the day you get home from your trip, or as soon as the canvas has dried out if that's necessary, and keep it on until you start to prepare for your next trip.
    • Order RV tire covers, too. They'll protect your tires from UV light so they last longer and are more reliable.

Annunzi likes this.
  8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

it sits on a semi flat area, I made . (used to have a swing set for my kids there) but it definitely slopes both rear and left sides, up on a 2x6. And one thin board on low side tires And front
    Almost completely down as low as it goes , it’s a tight fit , got to make sure your chocked really well before unhooking From truck For sure! My rear yard is elevated from where my house actually sits. Got to deal with living on the hills in Western PA

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 7:49 PM