To cover or not to cover?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Thewifie, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Thewifie

Thewifie New Member

Hi, everyone!
    I hear different opinions on covering a popup or not. Ours is stored outside in southern CA, with no shade. Tons of sun (lots of rain this year) snow. The coldest it ever gets here is about 35-40 in the dead of winter.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks for your help!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Using a cover is somewhat controversial. Most brands of pups do not recommend using a tarp or other non-breathable cover for them. That type of covering can lead to mildew, heat damage, etc.
    Most manufacturers seem to be OK with a breathable cover. some people don't like the idea of any fabric covering a camper, thinking that the friction and abrasion caused by the cover causes at least as much damage as weather and UV.
    We're somewhere in the middle. We have used a breathable cover on both pups and on the TT. In our high desert environment, covering is mostly for UV protection, plus some from bird poo, tree sap, and blowing dirt. However, most of the time our campers are not covered. Once camping season begins, it is just too much of a pain to keep covering and uncovering the camper. That's true even more so now that we have the TT, since that requires a ladder and both of us to get the cover in place. This winter, we had the TT washed and waxed at the end of the season, then covered it. It was only covered about 6 weeks, since I added an extra trip to my solo schedule, 6 weeks ahead of the first trip originally planned.

Here's a section with discussions:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=57.0

3. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

I wondered this too. We get several feel of snow and we just didn't want the melt off to cause mildew under the cover or hold water in there. The PO didn't use a cover just made sure the PUP was slightly slanted back so water had a direction to go instead of pooling in the top.
    We do clear the snow off after each storm, which has been a lot this year!!
    We've gone back and forth about getting a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

If the camper will be parked for at least a month then I cover it with a breathable cover. UV is really hard on it.

I camped near someone with a Coleman like mine, and same age. There camper was basement stored and looked brand new!

5. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

I use a breathable cover for uv protection, and also keeps it clean when not in use.
    I've seen what the sun can do around here, it's quite brutal.
    not that much trouble to cover it. can do it in about 5-min.

6. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

What about the snow?

7. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

what snow..? [;)], but still the cover is water proof...and breathable..snow is the only thing keeping me from camping right now.. [:)C]

8. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

Me too and of course now all the water from the melting snow ugh!! Can't wait to get out there!!

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I use an Adco tyvk cover. It transferres air (breathable) and protects from uv. It mostly protects from rain but some (little) will pass. Been using it about four years and it peromes great. Just don't use a laminated tarp. That will cause you problems.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our biggest concern has been UV. On the pup, we had a breathable cover (no Tyvek) and the water would soak through - it dried very quickly, though, so that didn't concern us. The first (tiny) pup sat unused for several years, before we renovated it. We didn't bother to clean off the snow, but the top was sloped enough as it was parked that the water drained off.
    With the second pup, I would try to clean any accumulation of snow off, in part because the water draining off of the pup would refreeze on the concrete driveway.
    We now have a TT, so there's no cleaning the snow off the roof of that. As with the pups, the slope of our driveway allows the rain or melted snow to drain off. After one big storm last year, with a longer cold spell, I had to work at the ice that formed on the driveway from the melted snow.
    [The cover for the TT is an ADCO Aquashed, with a Tyvek roof, breathable sides. AFAIK, precipitation does not soak through on the roof, but it will soak the breathable sections - again not a a problem in our climate.]

11. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

An ADCO cover came with the [ALPU] when we bought it slightly used. It takes under ten minutes to install and tighten up. The [ALPU] has sharp roof corners, and I pad them with foam pipe insulation. Based on a discussion here on the forum, this year I put a pair of pool noodles on the roof, running lengthwise, to help with water runoff.

I think the greatest benefit we realize from the cover is it keeps out the dust blowing from the farm fields.

In a few days I will de-winterize for my pilgrimage to Phoenix, the re-winterize for another month and a half.

12. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

i have a camco. waterproof on top, water resistant on sides. has flaps that ventilate. straps ho,d it down on sides. keeps the pup clean and saves the roof from UV. cheaper than building a shelter.

13. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I have had good experience with Adco cover on my TT, it kept the exterior clean and spiders out of the exterior vents for the fridge and furnace. Unfortunately the first cover lasted 4 yrs before the wind finally tore it up for good. I bought a new Adco designer series one that almost twice the cost of the first one that is vented for wind. So far so good...

14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We keep out Jayco in a storage shed, but I use the breathable cover to keep the dust and dirt off.

15. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

We keep our pup unlevel for water and snow drain. We have a Carver Cover and Love it. Pricey...But better than those cheap ones. Will never go back to another cover.

16. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

I use a relatively inexpensive Camco breathable cover, a great value. I do noticed a little bit of the stitching is coming loose on one corner but I can fix that with ease. Ours is a 12 foot box and the 10 foot to12 foot model fits it quite snuggly so I don't need to use the side tiedowns at all.
    I usually use pieces of foam pipe insulation to protect it from the sharp corners, although I may file those corners down when we uncover her in March for the camping season.

17. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

the good part of that story is.........it's ALMOST MARCH... [;)]

18. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

I use an Elements breathable cover to protect the plastic pieces and paint from the CO sun. Have had it opened twice this winter just to let it air out and it still smells like the day we cleaned it up after our last trip.

19. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

In case more is added to this thread I'm bumping.