To cover or not to cover

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by rebshalom, May 13, 2012.

1. rebshalom

rebshalom New Member

I am picking up my new(to me) 2003 Coleman Monterey on Tuesday. Since it will be kept outdoors, I am wondering if I should buy a cover for it, and, if so, what kind.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

I would cover it. We bought an ADCO cover for our pup on Amazon, and it works very well.

3. rebshalom

rebshalom New Member

Thank you for the quick response.

4. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

You should be carefull using any cover in the summer months the heat build-up can be extreme. We have an ADCO cover and love it but it's only used in the winter months. Direct sun on any cover is not a good idea and it does not matter what kind of roof you have.
    Good luck!
    Fred

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Covered mine, although it was in a wooded area and not in the direct sun. Used the 4 mil builders plastic (Wal-Mart/Lowe's Bldg Supply), comes in a 12' wide/25' length roll. Tied down the four corners and crisscrossed two lines over the top. And did roll the awning bag up onto the roof first - that and the roof vent cover kept an air space underneath. Did keep the pine sap, staining leaves and the bird poop off the roof!

Here's a pic showing how it was done.

[​IMG]

6. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

Since we just got our pup - and the ADCO cover - last December, it hasn't been on the pup in the summer yet. But we do plan to use it all year as it does protect against UV rays as well as dirt and moisture. That said, we do camp 1 - 2x per month for 4-6 days, so the cover will be off a good part of the time.

7. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

I cover mine with the standard issue blue tarp from Home Depot. However, I put a length of 6" PVC pipe running down the length of the roof (front to back) to keep air space and to keep the rain running off easily.

8. DanielL

DanielL Member

I use an Adco cover on our '99 Coleman Niagara, but only n the winter. I would not want the heat build up. On the other hand, I do use a tire cover on the tire that has sun exposure year roundup protector from UV. The other tire only gets covered in the winter.

Happy Trails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. rebshalom

rebshalom New Member

Thanks for all the advise.
    Picked up the PUP yesterday and ordered an ADCO TYVEX cover for it.
    The cover is due to arrive Friday.

10. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

I buy a new standard blue tarp every year for mine, and cover only in the winter months. This past winter I had a kayak under it which made a natural center line so rain or snow melt can run off. If I don't have the kayak I just jack the front of it higher in than the back so it all runs off that way.

Personally I recommend covering it up, protects the roof from more sun that it would normally get uncovered. I don't cover in the summer, we use our pup a lot, even when not camping we may set it up for a night stay in the back yard by our lake and fish all night.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If I recall correctly, Coleman specifically says not to cover their trailers with plastic tarps at any time of the year. It can build up heat and moisture. I definitely recommend covering it with the correct ADCO cover in the winter. If you insist on covering it in the summer, be certain that PLENTY of air can freely circulate under the cover.

12. DanielL

DanielL Member

Coleman and Fleetwood definitely recommended not to use any tarp or cover of any kind. It was on their web site, in their manuals, etc. However, the reality is they also initially stated there wasn't a problem with ABS roofs either (and sent out many replacements). I agree with Unstable Tripod's comments and follow the same idea as previously stated. We do have an ABS roof in decent shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD