To go dark or not to go dark?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by ProbablyNotLostWanderer, Mar 18, 2019.

1. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

ProbablyNotLostWanderer Member

Ha! I actually don't mind cooking outside in the heat and humidity... my issue is the bugs! I draw the line at prepping food without some sort of shield against mosquitos. So I think if I get a shelter with mesh/screen walls I'll be okay. Well, and some sort of rain cover. We were planning on going camping this weekend, but it's supposed to be pretty serious weather, so who knows!

I love the idea of a popup, but I just wouldn't sleep. I need something more than canvas between me and noises outside - I hear everything in the entire campground and it keeps me up!

2. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

This is me in a tent, and of course the pup. I sleep with the phone playing music on the beach. If in the forest with it's random noises (was that a pine cone falling or Yogi coming buy for a midnight snack?) I put headphones in. Or with my old mil surplus cot and everyone thought something was getting into an ice chest when I rolled over.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have an add a room on my pup. It is a pain to set up, but it is super nice to have to cook in. I set up my kitchen under the awning, and I have a couple fans I can plug in outside to give me some breeze. It sucks cooking in the heat and humidity, but with the A/C running inside it becomes bearable.

I have a Coleman EZ-Up that I like, has shade walls and a screen attachment, but I have found that most of these EZ-Up canopies are close to worthless in the rain. Every one I have had has performed poorly in constant rain. The top leaks like a sieve - they are fine for showers and such but if you are expecting rain for longer than 30 min or so it will start weeping through. The material is water resistant in most cases unless you go expensive.

4. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

ProbablyNotLostWanderer Member

I like the idea of fans outside! That would really help. I always forget I can use electricity outside of the camper too. And good to know on the EZ up canopies not working in the rain. Maybe I could throw a tarp over the top. I actually found an old tarp from our tent camping days in the garage the other day while looking for something else.

BRWarrior, I have a white noise app on my phone that I use - seems to help a bit, but I can't do headphones or ear plugs because I need to be on call in case one of the kids wakes up.