To POPUP In FLorida Or NOT???

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Pirate_Popup, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Pirate_Popup

Pirate_Popup New Member

So living in Florida now and back on the portal to ask....Are Popups a Comfortable way to camp here in the Sunshine State?? Been told no and maybe by friends. They however have 5th wheels and dualies...I have a Subaru Outback. So an under 2700lbs pounds POPUP works. Just wondering about the A/C and leakage issues. We are a wet and very humid State as we all know. My other choice would be a cargo van build out into a camper. Fire away!!
    All ideas and experiences appreciated.
    Buoy

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

That's like getting advice on a small fishing boat from folks who own yachts. Of course a PUP can't get it done. They're going to try to convince you that their way of camping is the better way, just as a number of us might do for PUPs. It's personal choice but everyone wants to validate the way they are doing things and seek to convince others that it's the right way. That's human nature.

And yet there are a lot of people here who do it as residents of FL and as visitors to FL. And they live quite comfortably in the PUP.

As is, most PUPs will struggle to make extreme conditions bearable. There are things you can do to help it out.

The typical additions and modifications to the PUP to help it deal with direct sunlight radiant heating and high ambient air temperatures involve using products like PopUp Gizmos http://www.popupgizmos.com/ to cover the roofs of the bunk ends.
    Also, many will custom cut inserts of Reflectix to fit in between the windows and outside screens to further insulate and reflect heat away from the PUP.

A good air conditioner is a must for me when in humid conditions and so I have never and will not buy an RV without one. 13.5K BTU ceiling air conditioners are common in PUPs and other RVs.

Finding shade or creating shade is always a big help.

I'm glad you're not just taking their word for it. There's lots of information on here on how to deal with different weather conditions and PUPs are quite adaptable.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Agreed, I would guess those friends wouldn't find PUP camping acceptable in most any state.

4. Pirate_Popup

Pirate_Popup New Member

Hehehe Bonde Bond you make a lot of good sense and made us laugh at the same time. Great advice and Wonderful info...Love the Reflectix Ideas... for the windows etc. Thank you..

5. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

We've camped quite comfortably in Florida in our pup. That's what A/C is for. [:D] Bondebond pretty much covered everything, but here's one other thing. We don't sit in our camper all day. We're out doing things all day long, including just being at the campsite and preparing meals. So, we don't run our A/C during the day because we're not in there. It cools things down just fine when we go in in the evening. We are camping, and to us that means being outside in nature as much as possible.

My experience -- strictly my personal one, not everyone else's! -- is that the folks who have the massive tour bus type RVs and fifth-wheels don't spend much time outside. They aren't camping; they are just traveling in a rolling hotel room.

The one and only time we spent pretty much the entire day inside was the day after we arrived at our campsite in Zolfo Springs, FL, last year. We knew the forecast was for rain all day. We hung out inside and read books and napped. And we did run the A/C some that day.

Once you figure out the type of camper you are/were/want to be, you'll know the type of camper to buy. [:D] [:D] Good luck!

6. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Lots of good replies, but I'll add one more.

IMO camping in Florida, just like the midwest, is a 3 season activity, but instead of avoiding a snow filled winter you avoid a sweltering summer. And while we typically miss 4 months I would think you may only miss 3. We don't go camping to hang out in the camper. We go to spend time outdoors, so we are rarely in the camper in the middle of the day, and if its too hot or too cold to be out and about what's the point?

7. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I know a lot of Floridians who have a pop up. Mine is an old Jayco and we us it year around. Do have A/C and it is very comfortable in the summer.

8. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We bought our pop-up after a miserable tent camping experience Memorial Day weekend 2014. With the AC in our pop-up we slept comfortably this summer.

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

No reason you can't camp in a pop up in Florida. Hundreds do it. The DW and I did it for a week in March in Jupiter. 92-96 degrees, no A/C because of bad power at the campground.

10. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Been camping all week in a pup with 3 kids. Youngest is 5 months next week. AC is a must. Reflective in windows and gizmos on bunk ends.

We have a Palomino small pup. Box is 8 1/2ft closed. I cant remember the weight right now but its light.

11. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We have friends in FL that have pop-ups. It's just the 2 of us, my husband and I and when we retire to FL we do plan to bring our PUP. Living in MN now,, we really don't need a/c so didn't install it when we purchased it new. Will definitely have to install it when we are in FL.

12. JDCMRM2101

JDCMRM2101 New Member

I live in FL and the AC is a must but other than that no problems. Along with gizmos and everything else if you have a fridge in your popup the fan mod is a must!!!!!! But a week in St. Aug this summer in August with me wife and 4 kids we had no trouble, but like most during the days we were gone to beach etc.... Only spent a lot of time at campsite at night.

13. kstephens

kstephens Member

I will be investing in pop up gizmos soon. However, our Jayco ac has no problem keeping us cool (never camped there in july-august though)

14. travisma

travisma New Member

OK, now you get to hear from the crazy person!

Yes PUP camping can be done in FL. We did it ages ago, got away from camping because of schedules, got rid of the PUP.

About 2 years ago my granddaughter announced she want to do real camping in a tent, not a cabin.

After about 3 tent trips we started looking for a small, used inexpensive PUP for creature comforts . Didn't want to spend a lot because we still don't get out as much as we'd like.

Found an 86 Coleman Columbia, it's about the smallest they ever made.

We've used it on 3 or 4 long weekend trips, and in 2014 for a 4th of July week at Fort Wilderness.

We do not have A/C. We use a small fan circulating the air at night with the windows unzipped.

Even in July, the night air cools down enough with the fan going.

Like others said, we don't sit in it during the day, basically it's used for storage, changing, and sleeping.

Cooking is done outside, so is eating.

If you do go with an A/C use the gizmos, reflectix, etc. to help keep the temps down.

There are a lot of links, posts, you tube videos on how to install a home window unit instead of a made for PUP roof top unit if your PUPs roof can't support one.

PS we have lived in FL since 78, and are used to A/C at home and work, but it's not too bad without it when you are camping.

Try camping a couple of times with a fan before deciding if you want to invest in an A/C.

15. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I camped in FL the week of July Forth. Two words of wisdom - shade & AC. As long as you meet those two requirements you will be fine.

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I was born and raised in Florida, I have camped in everything from a pallet by the fire to a MH. I always go back to the PUP. It is convenient for us, easy to tow and gets good gas mileage. Our 2002 Rockwood 2318G with slide gives us all the room we need for us two and the three Chihuahua's I do have an AC and it is recommended in Fla. as the summers do get hot and the humidity is high, we also have a furnace as it does get chilly here in Fl. in the winter and freezes in some areas, mostly N to Upper Central Fl.
    We cook in the PUP when the weather is bad and under the awning or on a picnic table when it is good.
    We also have a 31 FT MH that we never use and it just sits for company to stay in when they visit.
    However you need to decide what is best for you and what fills your needs... Happy Camping

17. 7Romano7

7Romano7 New Member

I've been tent camping in Florida, including this past August. Luckily, we were surrounded by shade trees. Swimming during the day, only in to the tent to sleep. Had a portable air conditioner in the tent in August, but end of May trip was purely a fan. Very comfortable. Just purchased a new pup, picking up tomorrow.

Looking forward to enjoying my grandchildren with the new unit. I agree with other comment regarding the big elaborate coach. Get a room.....

Had a friend ask me what a pup is going to provide me that a tent doesn't. To be honest, I don't know... But I aim to find out.

Maybe it's because my husband isn't a camper and I think he will be a bit more comfortable.

We will see. [PU]

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Many years here in the north tent camping, the biggest advantage when moved to a pup is getting off the ground, especially after a cold rainy Pennslyvania night. Plus the amenities of having a on board furnace, a/c unit, running water, and electric plugs. Cant be beat. Even though i recently moved from pup to hardside, still cant beat the pup in my opinion. Congrads on your purchase! What part of florida? My daughter is in Orlando

19. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

We have popup camped in Florida for years now no problems

20. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We absolutely love camping Florida's Forgotten Coast. We do go after the temps drop and the bugs retreat. Our pup is awesome to be in on the coast!