To potty or not to Potty...

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by smw526, May 26, 2014.

1. smw526

smw526 Member

I've been looking online quite a while at pop up campers (never owned or camped in one yet), going back and forth between new and used (I know the depreciation issue on the new ones, but there's something about being the first owner...:)) One of the major cost drivers is the toilet or toilet/shower combo. While I'd be OK with an outside shower, the users would mainly be the wife, grand daughter, and myself, so I think a toilet/shower combo would be a good investment. But it looks like the cost difference between a unit with and without a cassette potty/shower combo seems to run around $1500.

So I got to wondering about buying a unit with an outside shower and an inside cassette toilet. I could go with a portable, but I like the idea of it being locked down and able to have a hinged cover over it. Then I got to thinking about buying a unit without the potty and retrofitting it myself by installing one in the area lots of PuPs use for a storage cabinet. Has anyone out there done this or know anyone (with either good or bad results) that has? Seems like a way to "keep my cash and potty too", but since I have no idea what I'm talking about :) I thought I'd ask all you educated folks for your thoughts.

2. farley.hobson

farley.hobson New Member

This is our first season with our shower/toilet and we love it. The night time convince makes a big difference. We have been PuP campers for 25 years so we were due for a little luxury.
    We've always had an outside shower that we never used for showering. I washed dirty pans and dogs with it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

A few thoughts. Outside showers make grey water which is not allowed at a lot of camping grounds (against the law in some states). This would make the outside shower not very useful IMO. Don't know about your TV. If you go with an inside shower and toilet, you add grey water tanks, black water tanks, and a hot water heater. You are talking about quite a bit of weight (and higher cost). Not to mention you now have less storage space, which is often a problem. Most places have showers and they seem fine to me. I worry about the weight since I tow with a car and I got a Go Anywhere Toilet for just number one at night. Stores under the bed. Works for me.

4. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

We have a small porta-potti for the kids to use at night (my wife has used it more than the kids!)...weighs less, easier to deal with.

5. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

just [2C]
    we have a portapotti and just got a popup shower type tent for the potty $38 on amazon. strictly for those gotta go moments. it is just me and dw. walk to shower :) [ALPU]

6. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We had a pup with the shower/potty combo. Loved it. If you can afford it, do it. We used the campground facilities for showers some times when we didn't feel like fussing with it, and also had the #2 in the bathhouse rule as well. The first time you are returning from a 2am bathroom run in the rain, you would probably kick yourself for not spending the couple of extra dollars. When we were looking it wasn't really an option, with 2 young kids. We thought about them in the middle of the night. Ironically, I used it more than they did for the night time.... Just my opinion.

7. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

We use a luggable lou just for the #1 night potties, me specifically. Just cant hold it that long! A toilet seat on top of a home depot bucket and a plastic bag with kitty litter in the bottom. Take it out and walk it to the bathroom trash in the morning when you go for #2 and or a shower. We always stay in places with elec. and shower houses. Never boon dock.

8. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

Our first popup did not have the shower/potty so we bought a Thetford Electric flush (battery) porta potty. We had a corner of the camper where it fit and it worked out great. We also did a dinette seat shower mod and that also worked out well. Although having a built-in hot water heater would have been nice.

Our newer camper has the cassette potty/shower and we really like it. We use it every trip. I would not have a camper without some sort of potty and shower. We almost bought a new trailer that did not have the potty/shower combo and we were going to order it with the hot water package and then do another dinette seat shower mod and another Thetford Electric porta potty. I was also going to modify a cabinet to house the potty. But then we ran across our current trailer and bought it instead.

We also have the outside shower and rarely use it, and when we do it is to rinse off dirty shoes or something, not to shower with. The inside shower is more convenient and comfortable for us.

9. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We have a CP and outside shower we use both CP every trip, shower on longer trips love both.

10. daveman

daveman Member

Our Starcraft has the hot water tank and outdoor shower, both rarely used....our best investment was a Thetford porta-potti....easily transported, easily dumped & small footprint on the camper floor. We (ok, wife) uses it for nighttime only :)

Much cheaper option than the complete indoor shower/toilet combo..that said, next time we buy I'll probably go that way....should be retired by then.

11. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We do not have a shower and have no toilet.....so I bought a porta-potty for myself and DD at night. We only use it for #1 and only at night.
    Ours is a Dometic and a 19L, I believe. I put water in the bottom, and with only the two of us using it, we don't have to empty it for 2-3 days. Very easy to empty, carry, and not heavy at all.
    It fits right under the dining benches or inside one of the dining seats. Tucked away nicely!

12. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

You want to be over in the Pre-Purchase forum. This is the First Time & New Owners forum ... a place for people to ask questions post-purchase ... after they bought a PUP and now have questions.

If you go over to the pre-purchase forum, you'll find where lots of other prospective buyers have asked questions about PUP features. In fact, this very questions gets asked about once ever 3-4 months. So, do some searching around over there and you'll get lots of perspectives.

Good luck.

13. itpcpro

itpcpro New Member

We have the potty/shower combo in our pop up. We only use the potty at night for the wife and the little one. It does not fill up quickly so we can normally just dump it when we dump the gray water tank. Well worth it.

[usa] [SC]

14. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

IMO, 1500.00 is money well spent for the convenience of the toilet and show in the camper. My wife HATESpit toilets and the cassette is easy to deal with and really adds very little weight (if yours is a cassette model). The shower is great if you have little ones that really "enjoy" being outdoors and all the dirt that comes with it. Oh, and I like a hot shower too - without the walk - after a couple days of camping (not to mention my wife appreciates it). [:D]

15. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

Another thing to look at when considering cassette potties is some campers have an access door in the side of the trailer that opens and allows access to the tank in order to dump it. Other campers you have to open the main camper door and reach inside the trailer to access it . . . although they are usually right inside the door...

16. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

Toilet/shower combo all the way!!! I love mine and will never buy a camper without. No lines, disgusting toilets, I don't have to wear sandals in the shower. No flashlight walks to the toilet in the rain or in the middle of the night!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. jwillis54

jwillis54 New Member

18. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

I don't think that anyone would ever be cited for using an outside shower for grey water release would they? I'd say you'd have to be doing something extreme for that to be an issue.

I run by the water faucets that are provided to drench my head or wash my feet or kids feet- this would be illegal grey water? Before I had the camper with a sink I would brush my teeth at the water fountain that drains into gravel at the base of the post - illegal grey water? I was once brushing my teeth at a fountain when a C.O. drove by and I waive and he waived back without a word. The fountain seemed cleaner than trying to sip water out of the tiny sinks in the bath house to me.

Maybe Indiana is a hick state that doesn't make a big deal about it but I can't see an outside shower as an issue at all washing a dog or a kid or rinse out a pot that has been all but completely scraped in the trash.

19. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I don't camp in our state park very often but in the others it has never been a problem with the shower draining on the ground. I have had camphost stop and talk about the set up and how they liked it.

20. smw526

smw526 Member

My sincere thanks to all for your responses. They have been a great help to me in sorting this out. We've decided to go with a unit that has the toilet/shower built in. With a wife and a 5yr old grand daughter, it is really a pretty easy decision! Plus at my age, ....

Now all that's left is to find one to buy!

Thanks again to all of you!