To replace or keep till it dies?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Kimmygr, Feb 11, 2014.

1. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Living in Fl. you need a new unit good luck

2. jeff b

jeff b Member

Get them as straight as you can then just let it run until it dies. If you do remove too many fins, it could over heat, but the blockage that is there may be worse that if you get rid of the damage. There is a couple of inches of fins total so if the front half inch are missing it may still work.

1999 Ford F-150 4x4
    2001 Jayco Qwest 10

3. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

WOW!! looks like somebody has been throwing baseballs at it. Thats bad!!! If the salt comes off and air can flow you might have a chance.

5. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

UPDATE: First step finished...next to respray/reclean with fins open...

Ok guys and gals. What do you think? I feel I have gotten them as straight as I could. Here are some before/after pics..

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can maybe touch up some areas, but this is the best it is going to get...

What do you all think? Did I do good? Next is to spray more cleaning stuff- again.. maybe I'll try CLR this time around.

Also- I pulled the sheet metal cover off of the other set of coils. Those look pretty good. Will clean them this weekend.

6. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Under the other coils that the sheet metal covers up is the drip pan. there should be a drain hole on each side just under the coils. Make sure they are not clogged up and clean the pan real well. If it doe not drain properly the water could back up into the camper. I would try it out and see what happens after that. then you can decide if and when you need a new one. that looks pretty bad though

7. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Is the drain pan removable without lifting the unit? I haven't been able to climb on top and get a good look inside- I'll grab the ladder and look down into it to check it out.

Oh and I'll try not to kill myslef doing it- I HATE ladders! :)

8. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Dont thinks so. You just have to clean it out and make sure the holes aren clogged Mine has 1 on each side under the coils. It would be much easier to work on if you took it off the camper. you probably want to replace the gasket anyway.

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

10. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

I'll see what I can while it is attached first. I do want to replace the gasket, plus I figure if we have to replace the unit I'll a new gasket either way...

One more question- an age old question I am sure... IF we must replace, which do you all recommend- Dometic vs Coleman. Yes I know there are a couple REALLY old threads, but I would like some updated thoughts.

Meanwhile- back to work :/

11. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

can it be run without all the covers put back on?

12. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

*Sigh* with all the effort I have put into trying to save the a/c- I don't think it will be possible. I raised the roof and plugged it in (with all the outer shrouds off). It did run on high cool for the time I was out there, but it never really got cold. I took the kid's forehead thermometer out there and got temp readings of the air it was blowing. They were only around 80 degrees. The big cylinder (compressor?) was getting really really hot too. So, I think we are going to have to replace the unit.

At least I can say I tried...

13. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

are you shure you had it on high cool and on a dedicated 20 amp circuit? Did you try low cool? It should be colder than that for sure. Mine was blowing around 68 when it was 80 outside. after I cleaned it I got it to go down to 55 degrees in 80 degree weather and in the sunlight. now on low cool with the thermostat setting on 3/4 it will freeze you out of there. I would say chuck it and get a new one. At least you tried.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It may just need a charge.

15. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

As bad as that thing looks I would just get a new one, especially if you camp in a hot climate like we do here in Mo.

16. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Ya- I had it on it's plug.

We are just going to replace it. Being here in Florida camping w/o a/c at night is brutal. I tried and thankyou all for your patience and help. I thinkI am going to purchase the Dometic Brisk Air II 13.5 btu since it is in my price range and local so I do not have to worry about shipping damage. I would have rather gotten another coleman, but I guess Dometic is just as good.

17. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

The one I have is a 2006 dometic and still going strong.

18. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

Um- how do I dispose of the old unit? Will a dump take it? Or should I give it to someone to scrap?

19. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

20. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

That should do it ! [:D]