To restore or not to restore an 1982 Viking Mini Gasser

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Beckymeep, Jun 14, 2018.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Patching canvas with the Speedy Stitcher is easy. Time consuming but easy. Than spray the threads with a seam sealer. I was surprised with how well I did with out much practice.
    [​IMG]

2. Beckymeep

Beckymeep New Member

Thanks for the reply. Both trailers are over an hours drive from me so I'm hoping to check them out this weekend.

3. Beckymeep

Beckymeep New Member

Thanks! I saw a patching kit on Amazon that had one of these (actually 2 one straight needle and one curved). I feel better knowing that they actually work now.

4. jnc

That being Said The Gasser in the first post canvas looks pretty bad. Is that the only Damage? I dont think I would be sewing that by hand!

5. jnc

Ya I used it to patch the Tarp that I use for an awning. It was easy to go through 4 layers of fabric.

6. Beckymeep

Beckymeep New Member

Honestly I'm not sure, seller said he got the Gasser as part of a trade. I asked him to check if electrics work and he said the battery is dead so he cant check. He wont budge from $200 though. And now I know a new canvas is $950. I think I'll leave that project to someone else, with experience, as most the replies say it wont be fixable.

7. jnc

With a camper like that you know the Canvas needs replacing but have no idea what else is broken until you take a closer look. If the Frame isn't rotted, The roof solid, The interior Dry, Does it have all the light fixture's present never mind working. Bring a battery, Hook it to the TV, Jack it up do the tires wiggle?

A $200 camper is just a foundation on with you build. In the end you have a Camper that you know the how's & why's of every piece.

Beckymeep likes this.
  8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

An old 60s era Apache, Appleby, Camel, etc would be perfect your little TV. My old ‘66 Apache Raven was 500 lbs and was literally just a tent on wheels with room to haul things.

Two nearly full size beds plus a wide open floor when setup.

CFAB5F02-94DB-4AB0-8573-0028A9B2143B.jpeg

rich2, WVhillbilly and PointyCamper like this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If good fabric is ripped, it's you know, like you'd expect ripped fabric to be. "Dry rot" is when the fibers are just falling apart and it's just too fragile to work on. You'll know. If you poke it and your fingers go through it, it's not really salvageable.

Like when you know that you just have to throw away that underwear.

10. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Sorry for being tardy to reply. Like Dingit said, if ituju, (That's my wife typing over my shoulder) if the canvas seem fragile, or you can grab one edge of those tears and can easily start a new tear perpendicular to the old one, it's rotted.

Another thing I noticed is it appears the lift handles on the front of the roof are missing. If the mount holes were not sealed, the side boards on the roof are probably soft or rotted.

11. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Curious about what happened on this thread? Did you get it? I just bought a 1973 little gasser for restoration and wondered...