Toilet in the PUP??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Shrek1214, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gruss

gruss Active Member

and if you're using a garden hose for the drain, DO NOT eat any corn!

2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

well Damn.

3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Are Pup didn't come with a toilet so I bought a portable and store in in the small cabinet by the door. (DW gets up 3-4 times a night). Now I'm trying to add an outside shower.

4. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

A cassette toilet was the best reason to buy a popup in my opinion! I use it at night and it is way better than having to walk to the bathrooms on bad weather and in the dark. What I like best about the cassette toilet is there are no hoses to hook up and I can take it to any bathroom to empty it if there is no dump station available. Don't use the inside shower, but it is there if I need it. I store my rolled up sleeping bags in that space then traveling.
    PATMD

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Do what works for you, so if the space is that useful and the toilet is not, go for it.
    In our experience, we modded both pups to how we wanted to use them, not how someone else might like them - but had no problems selling either, so guess we didn't do anything too weird. We pulled the sinks out of each, but had them to include when we sold the campers. We saved space in our pups by using a good folding toilet; we created space in the first pup by removing a useless icebox; the Cobalt had a cupboard apparently designed for porta-potties, but we fit a lot more in it by using the folding toilet. Tried the Reliance brand first, but it was too low for my cranky back; ended up with a PETT/Go-Anywhere/Cleanwaste brand, which is the height of a home toilet, approved for military and disaster use and very sturdy. They use a bag with gel in it, which is approved for landfill/dumpster disposal.
    We had no issues using it in the pup, but we also have a shower/potty tent we could use outside if necessary.
    I don't fall back to sleep as well as I used to, so while a stroll in the middle of a nice night is fine, it isn't so great on a stormy or cold night. Then there was the time I was base camped in Colorado (while DH was backpacking) and was warned not to venture to the toilet by myself in the middle of the night, due to a mountain lion in the vicinity. We've been to many campgrounds over the years - the facilities can vary from great to totally horrible - and some of the cleanest have been vault toilets, so type of campground isn't a sure indicator of how well things will be kept. (Nor prevent the occasional invasion by selfish, trash-throwing vandals.)

6. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I am buying one for mine .Its a 5 gal. cap one and it can be taken to the dump sight and empited. Sometimes I get up more than once during the night ,who wants to go out 3am to the bathrooms ? Not me . :)

7. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

X2, Yes, especially in a really cold raining night.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

When I had the RotnPup, I used a Luggable Loo. Very simple 5 gallon bucket with a tight snap and molded seat. Chemical bag inside, NO smells ever, & when my back just wouldn't take it, I stacked it into another 5 gallon bucket! It seems like I gained close to 3 or 4 inches of added height?? From a bucket.

During the day, it sat by the couch with a nice cover on it, and was used (by many) as a coffee table. [8D]

Ignorance can surely be bliss. [A]

I eventually got a great portal deal from a company for the 5 gallon marine versions of the Dometic. Was 19" high and worked great. Emptied every other day, also chemical and NO smell ever. After I dumped it and it was clear of TP, I'd rinse it out either in a shower or with a slop sink hose (if they have one). Shoot, I even gave one away at my second Sewer Rally as a grand prize!! It went to a most deserved father of 2 little cutie pie girls. How perfect, right?

The new TT has a nice tub that stores my water jugs and dirty clothes. LOL The toilet is a Godsend. It's even tall enough! Salesmen leer at me when I look at rvs because I always sit on the toilet lid to 'think on it' a bit. LMAO

[:D]

9. Shaumarie

Shaumarie New Member

I specifically wanted a PUP without a toilet or shower. I have had the TT with both. I cannot stand draining the grey and black water. YUCK! A 5 gallon bucket with bottom cut out, a $3 toilet seat from Academy designed for the bucket and a trash bag for the paper. That's all I need. And taking care of business while the birds fly around and sing to you is priceless!

The solar shower bag takes care of keeping us clean. Tomorrow we are purchasing a shower shelter so we won't have to string up tarps for a shower anymore!! It's better than dumping the icky stuff.... [:(O]

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

with my 96 KeyWest, I used trees and public bathroom

with my 02 Niagara, I use my Thedford (for #1) and public bathroom (for #2)

11. JeffC

JeffC New Member

A bucket with the bottom cut out? How do you wash dishes? I'm unclear as to how a bottomless bucket and bag full of used toilet paper wouldn't gross you out and how you don't produce grey water.

12. Shaumarie

Shaumarie New Member

JeffC...I produce gray water when I wash dishes outside in a tub. Small amount of gray water that can be thrown out immediately. The bottomless bucket is great: Dig a small hole, place BB over hole, take care of business, remove BB, cover business with dirt previously removed to make hole. It's all very hygienic. [8D] As for the bag of used toilet paper? Yeah. It can be a little icky, but still better than the days of festering waste sitting in the tank just waiting to assault my sense of smell [:(O]

13. Shrek1214

Shrek1214 New Member

Now THAT made me LAUGH OUT LOUD!! THANK YOU [:D] [:D] [:D]

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Glad I could give you a good laugh! I bet I'm going to hear from a few folks after revealing that little tidbit. LOLOL

:-D

Smartphone grammar SUCKS!!

15. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Very hygienic until the next camper drives their tent stake in it! [:(O] [:)O]

Actually, after being grossed out by the bag of used TP I did a little research on catholes and latrines. Turns out that human waste is not all that biodegradable and the pathogens can still be present a year later. It is recommended that either method be placed with a bunch of criteria, the first being that they are at least 200' from trails, camp sites and water. As for the grey water, I'm told you can't dump it if there is soap or food particles in it. We have a cassette toilet and the odor doesn't even approach cathole levels on the worst day! Good luck!

16. gruss

gruss Active Member

Wow shamwow, I hope you are boondocking way in the middle of nowhere, if I saw you crapping in a shallow hole next to me in a campground I'd rub your nose in it.

sent from a phone.

17. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

This topic has been hashed over many time on the portal. We have a shower/potty combo in our pup and wouldn't be without it. DW shattered her ankle while we were hiking in TN and had to have emergency surgery and we just kept on camping.......and those who say only #2, it doesn't matter what is in there as long as you use the right chemicals. We still use the facilities at campgrounds if they are available, but it is a matter of convenience for us to use our own.

18. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Lol!

19. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Totally agree. I was sad when the HW's stopped using cassette toilets and went to the black tanks. Now I have to buy all kinds of hoses, adapters, blue poop totes, etc. What a pain.

20. daveman

daveman Member

My wife telss anyone and everyone the most romantic gift i ever bought was the Thetford porta-pottie for the PUP :)