Toilet solutions for boondocking

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by PUPnewbie02, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Derek S

Derek S New Member

The difference being the "magic powder"...

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Probably just for smell and absorbstion of liquids.

3. steve0617

steve0617 New Member

Portapotty, collapsable shower tent for privacy, RV TP and the blue or orange RV black tank stink prevention pod, blue wheeled tote to empty portapotty into so we can then carry it all out back to civilization, empty Folgers plastic coffee container to hold TP inside tent and finally, lots of disposable gloves.

Works great for us

AMC likes this.
  4. Etexcamper

Etexcamper Member

We used a thetford 565E. It worked very well and can easily be dumped into any waste dump site and or any commode. Never had any problem with spills. Just a great product for boondocking.

_WW_ and AMC like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

There's also soap and water.

6. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

We only do dispersed camping. It is a rare site that isn't littered with toilet paper and sometimes open piles of human poop. one of our first jobs in setting up our camp is to clean up other people's messes. Disgusting and upsetting. I am more frequently seeing thick hand wipes used for toilet paper that will probably take a decade to degrade. Please, please, please bag your toilet paper and pack it out with you. I can't imagine burning toilet paper and throwing it in a hole. Fires can burn underground.

FARfetched and gladecreekwy like this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

where are you camping that you see this ???

8. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan New Member

This won't work in your state or paid campgrounds, but for boon-docking this Anti-Tip Toilet is the best! This setup is using a 5gal. home depot bucket with bottom cut out, 4 pieces of aluminum channel 14ga x 18" x 1-1/2", eight 3/8" x 1" bolts (zinc or galvanized), sixteen 3/8" washers, eight 3/8" lock washers, 5gal bucket snap-on toilet lid, compostable large trash bags.

Grind off top 1-1/2" of each 18" piece of channel allowing you to screw the channel together forming a square. Screw channel bolts (bolt heads down)together finger tight ensuring to use washer & lock washer.

Set the channel assy on floor with bucket inserted in square & mark with a pencil the four places on bucket where you need to drill four 3/8" holes for attaching bucket to channel & dill holes in bucket. Insert 3/8" bold though bucket & bracket (bolt heads to inside of bucket) using a washer on each side and locking washer on outside, tighten finger tight. Assuming everything lines up nicely, screw all bolts tight.

To use, dig a 10-12" hole in the ground at least 12" deep (16" is better) keeping dirt next to hole. Snap off toilet lid and insert a compostable large trash bag. Poke 6-7 holes in the bottom the bag/hole to allow liquids to drain. Snap lid back on. Instead of leaving a roll of TP by toilet to get wet/damp and critters to chew up leave a large packet of wet-wipes on toilet lid.

At the end of your stay just fold the bag down in the hole and bury, assuming it is legal in the state you are camping in. Depending on how long you are staying, number of people in party, and how rocky the ground is you may have to make more than one of these latrines during your stay. The best part about using a bag inside your bucket is you won't have to scrub out a the bucket when you get home.

Attached Files:

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Not just me. Better give him the GPS coordinates and pics or he won’t believe you.

10. gardenheather

gardenheather Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes but please dig a hole and bury it.

11. gardenheather

gardenheather Member Silver Supporting Member

When we went camping a few weeks ago we used a luggable loo, and I bought some double doodie bags. It worked really well. We only used it for liquid waste. We had brought a 2-gallon Ziploc full of pine pellets, which is actually horse bedding but we use it for cat litter. The reason being, because once the liquid hits it, it fully absorbs the liquid and goes back into a powder as it dries. Anyway, we figured if it works for the litter box, could be handy for us. So when I opened the bag I would just throw two cups of the pellets in the bottom. It worked wonderfully, and the only thing that little tent smelled like was pine. We actually could use it five or six times before we threw it out. Since we were in a campground and we could just throw it away there, it didn't have to be zipped completely shut for transport. We just rolled it up tight put it in our regular trash and threw it in the dumpster. Of course for solid waste we used the campground bathrooms. But I was trying to not use them at all if I could help it.

12. Rockwood_Freedom

Rockwood_Freedom New Member

For a family of 4, why not make things easy on your family and just get a Porta Potti + a privacy tent/shower? You won't have to worry about spills and using a deodorizer like "Liquid Gold" you won't have to worry about smells!

How long of a trip are you talking about?

13. thomas533

thomas533 New Member

I use a luggable loo bucket toilet, but only for #2, and we use peat moss to cover. Toilet paper goes in a trash bag. For #1 we just water the trees. Every few days I dig a hole and bury the contents of the bucket. I make sure that the contents of the bucket are covered by at least 6 inches of soil (not just leaf cover). I have a few sites that I go back to regularly and I have never seen any evidence that any animal has dug anything up.

14. 383

383 New Member

15. Firering

Firering New Member

I'm a former Coleman PUP owner that did an extensive rebuild including the ABS roof but am now building out a ProMaster van and built a composting toilet for it using a urine separator. Check out this one I built for full time use. Lots of ideas that vanlifers use.

I'm not supported or compensated for this.

FARfetched likes this.
  16. LongHammer

LongHammer Member

I have used the PETT for a long time and love it. Standard size and height. I carry a home depot bucket with lid for used bags. I got to admit a couple loaded wag bags in the fire can be a good prank on your hunting buddies sitting downwind.

FARfetched likes this.