Toilets

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Artist60164, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

I found a toilet in or under one of my cabinets. I pulled it out. WOW ITS HEAVY. It has blue antifreeze in it right now. How does it work and where do I put it? I probably send a pic.
    2c0abd46e3a6e6f41db010571884bd8b.jpg

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Goodness. That's a classic! What year is your popup? Mid-80s or earlier??

Please leak test thoroughly before using.

I would be skeptical of the seals on a vintage potty like this one and might just get a new one. It's heavy because it's full, probably of clean stuff. :)

It probably works the same as new ones. You fill up the clean tank with water, toss a deodorizer/potty chemical in the waste tank, open the hole with the lever on the front, and pump flush water with the knob thingy on the back. New ones have the option for an electrical flush. New ones are never harvest gold. :)

3. Artist60164

I guess the harvest was a give away. Its heavy as hell. I can hear fluid in the bottom.. No smell but I will test it outside before we use it. Where do you put it? 1983 Jayco Jay Cardinal.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Boy that is an old one there. The back pump is where you pump water to help wash your business down in
    the storage tank and I believe the lever in the front pulls out to "flush" no clue how to access the storage tank.

In my 1990 Jayco there was a cabinet beside the door that was just barely big enough for our portable potty. Not sure if you have a cabinet like that or not.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a more modern portapotty. Boring color. We don't fill the tank all the way because it's heavy if you do. If we run out of flush water, then we can top off the tank. I do not believe these need winterizing. They can be emptied completely. And should be! But yours must have been loved and cared for. It's a good sign for the whole rig, really.

With new ones, the top detaches from the bottom and there is a spout to empty the tank into a toilet or sewer cleanout of whatever. There must be something like that for this one.

You put it back where you found it, and pull it out to use, or at night, or you put it in a tent outside if you are shy with your fellow travelers.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Retire that thing.

7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Still looks really similar to mordern ones.

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

No need to retire it... put it on Antiques Roadshow!! [:D]

9. Artist60164

Yes I have the same cabinet and the toilet barely fits in.

10. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Wow that brings back memories. We had one at the cabin in my grandparents sleeping cabin. I never used it but my grandparents did during xmas at the cottage before they put in a full bathroom. No way was my nan going to the outhouse at minus 35 in the middle of night. If memory serves there was a swingout pipe that was also a valve to empty the holding tank. I bet its still up at the cottage waiting for someone to love it again!

Artist60164 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Looks like the one we had growing up. That was in the 70s. You pull it out in the floor and do your business and put it back in the cabinet out of the way. Mom made Dad get it because she was tired of squatting behind bushes.

Pommom70 and Sjm9911 like this.