Tongue Jack loose/has some play/wont sit vertical

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by lksdrinker, Sep 6, 2019.

1. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I've noticed there is a bit of play in my tongue jack but have not investigated very much yet. My guess is the prior owner left it down and moved it while hitched to a tow vehicle. When the jack is in the down position the weight of the trailer wants to sort of push it causing it to not sit vertical. At a quick glance it looks like it held in with a c-clip into something else that's welded to the frame. Is it common for these to have play and is there a fix to try before I look at replacement options?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Is it a swing away jack? In my experience most of those have too much play. If you have room to put a vertical jack in the A frame part of the tongue. I would do it.
    But to answer your question: yes there is a C clip. That is all that holds it in the mounting plate.

Raycfe and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

I had to replace the retaining ring once. There was still slop in the connection so I added a piece of sheet metal cut to size to take out the play. If it's bent, then you are looking at replacing it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Yes its a swing jack. Sounds like changing it out for a new one of the same style might result in the same issue? I'll have to look into other styles and see if there is any room...but I'm doubting it between the propane tanks, battery tray and the mounts for my bike buddy rack.

I dont believe anything looks bent but will have to check closer to make sure. I cant envision where exactly a piece of sheet metal might help to alleviate the slop. Sort of a shim behind the c-clip?

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine always had play in it also. I usally added another bolt just in case, i never trusted that spring clip thing. Same when i towed it, always added ties to the jack to hold it up. Probably overly cautious, but if i cant lift my toung and im 600 miles from home im sol.

6. CampingFamily1

Here's a photo of ours before I added a shim made out of sheet metal. The shim was placed between the part of the jack that swivels and the part that is fixed in place and welded to the A-frame.

[​IMG]

7. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Gotcha. Were you able to slid the shim in while the jack/circlip was still in place or did you need to remove it all? (Boy everything looks so clean in that photo!)

8. CampingFamily1

I don't remember but I think I put it in place when the retaining clip was removed. That photo was when our camper was brand new. We try to wash it each year to remove the dust that accumulates.